coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Girls on Fire

My 18-year old niece and her BFF are visiting us from Northern Indiana over their spring break this week.

It is now 11:46 a.m. and they are still sleeping.  I wonder when it might be a reasonable time to wake them up?

I waited a few more minutes and just knocked on their door and said "Wake up young people, it's noon!"  I hope that works.  I want to go on a nature hike with them at a state park this afternoon.   I think it will be good for their immortal souls.

They went to Magic Kingdom yesterday from about 11:30 am to 9:30 pm. We dropped them off and picked them up. They would liked to have been there longer but 1. they can't get up early, and 2.  T and I can't stay up late.  What you hear is the clash of two generations competing to define what a "day" is.  Hint, mine only involves daylight hours. 

I am relieved they are old enough to be dropped off and we did not have to go to that park with them because MK is my least favorite Disney park.  They don't serve alcohol there.  Think about it: long lines, endless waiting, screaming children and no beer.  All day and into the night, to paraphrase the Kinks.

They loved it.  They sent me a picture via text yesterday of the two of them posing with a very cute Peter Pan cast member.  Apparently my niece tried to talk him into taking her to prom.  He pretended not to know what prom was, because he's Peter Pan and all that.  Oh to be young and bubbly again.

We got home about 10:30 pm, and they decided they wanted to go night swimming in our pool.  We turned a fan on in our room, went to bed, and left them to it.  We never heard them.  I am not sure when they finally went to sleep.

We have been binge watching the 4 Hunger Games movies.  We all wish we were like Katniss Everdeen. We are all on Team Peeta.

I just made them banana and strawberry smoothies.  There is cold pepperoni pizza left over from last night.  They seem happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc






13 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of how crazy and fun it was to be that age.
    AND for the clip of the Kinks! Just hearing that music makes me feel young and happy. It was such an enveloping world of magical music in that era. What I would give for time travel! And did you see in one of the flashes there was a picture of Paul McCartney on the wall, they were a so connected in that amazing time - like one big galaxy of love and music.

    Kudos to you for letting the girls just be themselves while visiting. I don't think a lot of grandparents would be so gracious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually this one's aunt, although I am definitely old enough to be her grandmother. I love being around young girls/women. They are a joy. We had great talks psychoanalyzing their friends.

      Delete
  2. I say Hooray for the Care of Immortal Souls! Young was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you are young, you can sleep. How wonderful that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really enjoy sleeping. I was impressed by their ability to relax and not feel the least bit anxious about wasting time. That is definitely something we lose as we get older and have more responsibility. I wish I could get that back.

      Delete
  4. Ahh the joys of youth and leaning in to sleep.
    No alcohol s t Magic Kingdom? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun being around teenagers. They see life in a very different way. More fun, less angst. I think now that I've grown up I may have to start growing down. Seems like the right thing to do.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a really good time for the girls and for you. I wish our two nieces had retained some interest in spending time with us after they grew out of childhood. We never hear from them anymore even though we were close to them when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. Being an aunt is so fun. Maybe you could surprise them with a card or phone call and see what happens.

      Delete
  6. I love the part about no alcohol at the Magic Kingdom! And for all the same reasons we, too, would need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys should come here and go to Epcot during their food and wine festival in the fall. It is very grown-up and super fun. Amazing food. Check it out.

      Delete
    2. I have heard of it! We will have to add it to our schedule! And if not this year, then certainly next!

      Delete

So, whadayathink?