coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Play Date

My daughter delivered four wild 9-year old boys with McDonalds Happy Meals at 1:30 p.m the other day. 

We had two craft options. After loudly discussing the merits of each, they voted. They chose the hardest. With dread, Tom and I read the instructions. By then, the boys were in their swimming trunks and out the back door to the pool. 

They swam, cannonballed, thrashed, splashed, and pushed each other into the pool for nearly 2 hours. Elaborate water tag rules were invented, bellowed, and disregarded. Tom, wise and silent like all good lifeguards, sat sentinel.  

I tried to mind my own business, but had to announce our no hitting rule when Connor hit Blake over the head with a pool noodle. And when I heard Micah scream, I reminded Niko that the rubber Disney swords hurt when you slapped them onto someone's arm.  

After swimming, they frosted and decorated cupcakes. I taught them the M&M technique: frost a cupcake and then immediately plunge the top into a bowl of mini M&M's. The result being an encrusted delight. They consumed ungodly amounts of sugar. What did I care?  

They played hide and go seek out back, through the house, and out the front door. Eventually, they decided they were hungry again. This time they wanted hot dogs and french fries, which I dutifully made. They played video games, and only ate the french fries.

I was at the computer when all four marched in. Niko said "Grandma, can we jump on your bed?" I said, "No." Niko said, "Please?" I said, "No." Niko said, "Please, please, PLEASE?" I said "No." 

"Awwww" he replied unhappily as they marched back out.  




 

23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good job keeping them off the bed! Definitely the right call! What was the difficult craft option -- was it the cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no it was "paracord wristbands" involving knotting and braiding techniques. I seriously doubt their attention spans could have allowed them to finish one. The other alternative was painted rocks. They could have done that.

      Delete
  3. This is why we had our children when we were young. We had more energy then. All the same it sounds like a fun afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun for all. I have to admit I was exhausted when they left.

      Delete
  4. The best part is seeing them come and then seeing them leave. I adore them and have fun but am generally ready to collapse when they leave. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely don't need to jump on the bed when they can jump in the pool! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun time they had! Bet you and Grandpa slept like the dead after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. I even had to take a nap the next day.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wildly wonderful fun time with energetic young ones. They are delightful and exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One good aspect of grandparenting is that we are allowed to disperse junk food, even sweets!!, and let the watch tv whenever they want. And we can hand them back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a total pleasure, isn't it? Being a mother was often hard. Being a grandmother is often fun.

      Delete
  9. My grandmother of blessed memory let me do just about anything, but jumping on the bed was not permitted. Thanks for a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Limits - so hard to set and so, so important. I wouldn't let anyone jump on my bed either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hilarity of the Play Date, it's like herding Cats to manage excited Youngsters, is it not? *LMAO* I remember the first few Years of Raising the Grandkids I was always exhausted, now that I'm down to one and she's 15, we both Laugh when we see Younger Kids and she turns, smiles, and says, Gramma aren't you Glad I'm not that little anymore? True that, I doubt I'd hold up now, except in brief interludes! *LOL* When The Young Prince visited for his 21st Birthday from Washington, his Dad brought his Younger Siblings over and it sounded very much like you described in our Pool for the Hours they were here. I couldn't do it every Day now, but I sure did enjoy those Grandkids who are still not Adults yet.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?