coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

I remember when my hair was brown

I looked in the mirror this morning when I woke up, and suddenly remembered when my hair was brown. It is gray now, of course. I like the gray, the lightness of it, the way it softens my aging face, and especially how little maintenance it requires.  But the brown hair used to deliver a bit of contrast and drama to my looks.  

Those brown haired days are over. I can compensate for the loss of drama, certainly. Being dramatic is my superpower, when I can tamp it down and not scare people away. Contrast, however, is another story.  Lipstick might work, but sheesh. Why would I bother unless I'm going out? My husband might be amused, IF he noticed. Blush? Nah. Too Miss Havisham like.  

Although...  With my gray hair being so long, I could definitely dress up like Miss Havisham next Halloween. I would just have to locate a cheap and shabby wedding dress. Ah, but she's such a downer. Surely there's a better gray haired, drama queen role model?  Know of any?

Martitia Hunt as Miss Havisham


21 comments:

  1. Emmylou Harris, Andie MacDowell

    ReplyDelete
  2. me? lol. The above mentioned and Pat Benetar, Jane Fonda looks fabulous gray. There is a famous older model who's name I can't find right now who looks marvelous with white hair. As for me, still trying it out. Everything changes now with white hair, clothing colors, make up. I think I'll keep it now, but every once in a while I get a glimpse and miss my brown hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie Lee Curtis, and the not so famous me with my absolutely white hair.
    I googled Actresses With Gray Hair, and wow, the photos are great. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my favorite gray haired woman!!!

      Delete
    2. Colette-- You just made my day. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  4. My gray hair is super short - more like Jamie Lee Curtis.
    If you can manage dreadlocks, you could be Angela Bassett's character in Black Panther!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen Mirren popped into my mind. She allowed herself to age naturally and she is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I remember when my skin was smooth. With Facetime I get a constant reminder that it is no longer. I look way older than I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some women look fabulous with gray hair, with others it doesn't quite work. Jane Fonda looks great, ditto Jamie Lee Curtis. Oddly enough, I haven't yet gone gray at the age of 74!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your darling little tortoise header image. I remember when my hair was brown, but I don't miss it. I decided to grow it out in Nov 2019 but was using a spray on colour on the roots. Then lockdown happened so I stopped that, wore a hat when I went out then had it cut very short. It's chin length now and a lovely natural grey/mauve colour, I love it. Helen Mirren and Jamie Lee Curtis look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Polly. Hey - I just viewed your photography blog, it's amazing.

      Delete
  9. I Channel my Miss Havisham, just imagine her with Dreadlocks and her decaying opulence, but enjoying every minute of it. *winks* I still have Brown Hair, only half the Fam went Silver, the other half of us kept original Color into Old Age, go figger. It's the roll of the dice I guess, as for Contrast, go Bananas with Wardrobe to get that... shopping for it will be great Retail Therapy, so it's a Two-Fer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not have any additional contributions except to say, love this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?