We talked to the lawyer yesterday and he is fairly confident the closing will be in the last week of March. So far all "seems" well with that closing. Of course, anything could happen at any minute. I am vigilant and prepared, positively dripping with anxiety. I have not closed my eyes or turned my back for weeks. I SO want to leave this old house before the snow melts so I will not be reminded about the perennial beds we are leaving, nor be tempted to start weeding and mulching. We threw away our wheelbarrow, so would not be able to start mulching anyway. I am not sure what I think about living a life without a wheelbarrow, by the way. It is disconcerting. It will be one of our first purchases in Florida.
Talk about annoying... Fannie Mae does not seem to care about the house or our predicament. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seems they "misplaced" the deed-in-lieu of foreclosure from the previous owners and now have to track them down and get it. In the meantime, we are at their mercy. Because they are a mindless government bureaucracy, they will NOT let us move in and rent before the closing can take place. "Not their policy." It is like talking to a machine. Our Florida realtor has been valiant and proactive trying to get information and push them along. So has our lender's agent. I now have close personal relationships with both those women! I love the Southern girls. They are kind and friendly and hardworking. However, if my realtor tells me "Everything happens for a reason" one more time I may say something I will most certainly regret.
We have rescheduled our move date with our movers three times... It is embarrassing, and if the closing on this house is March 28th, then we really need to get out of town soon. Yesterday we made the decision to have the movers come early on the last week of March. We will then hit the road (with our cat Buddy) later that week - depending on how the cleaning goes. We found a pet friendly motel in Rocky Mount, NC. If we have not closed on the Florida house by the time we arrive we may have to put poor Buddy in a kennel until we find a place to stay. We are asking the movers to wait until after the 28th to deliver our stuff in Florida in hopes that we can take possession of the house by then (we live in hope). If we have not closed and there is still indeterminate bullshit going on with the closing we will have the movers put all our earthly belongings in storage down there. We will then find a place to rent on a short term basis that allows pets and rent month by month until either we close on the house we want, or we find another place to buy. Un*&^$@!#believable! We probably could negotiate with the new owners to rent back our current home for another month, but we decided not to. We are tired of waiting. We want to leave before the spring gardening season hits. And if all falls through and we are forced to start looking for a new Florida house, then we want to be down there to do it. In the meantime, the key word is "adventure."
We are still packing, still hauling junk to the curb, still taking bits and pieces to the Salvation Army.This is not fun.
That Nagging Bright Side Thing:
However, in spite of everything, I must admit there is still this spark deep inside me that promises everything. It is the same spark that used to ignite when I skipped school in high school. It is that "run away" spark that promises escape, excitement, and fun. It keeps me going. That, and knowing I will soon be playing with my grandchildren on a regular basis. Playing can be done whether we are in a house with a pool or stuck in a seedy motel. Of course, their parents probably won't let them come to the seedy motel. Not to worry, they have a house with a pool. Darn it Bright Side, you think of everything!
Once this buy/move/sell thing is behind me I really have to write about the joys of skipping school.