coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Inexplicable

Have you ever had something happen you simply could not explain? The incident that comes to mind for me is the Case of My Magic Earring.

A dear friend, JE, once gave me pewter earrings imprinted with a quilt block pattern. They are my all-time favorite earrings.  

When my father died in 1996, I flew back to Indiana from NYS to give the eulogy at his funeral. My daughter, M, was in college and had exams. I wouldn't let her come. I hope she forgives me for that eventually! T had events going on at work and I convinced him it would be best if he stayed home. In truth, I wanted to go alone because I did not want to be a mother or a wife for that event. I wanted to be a daughter. I wore my pewter earrings to the funeral. Afterwards my brother, Big D, invited everyone to his house for a reception.   

We went straight from the church to the reception. I was up and about all afternoon talking to people I rarely get to see. When I was ready to leave, I reached up to touch my ear and realized one of the earrings was missing. In a panic, I went back into the house and searched high and low for the earring. I eventually accepted the loss and sadly went on my way. It was a day for loss, it seemed. When I returned home I put the other earring in my jewelry box. Even alone, it had meaning to me and I wanted to keep it.

I usually give the eulogies at family funerals.  By 1996, I had given two eulogies: at my Dad's (1996) and at my brother F's (1995) funeral.  A couple of months after Dad's funeral I was having one of "those" days. Specifically, I wanted to reread the eulogies and get all nostalgic in the process. I still do that from time to time, but now I also read eulogies I gave for my Grandma (2000), my brother W (2004), and my Mom (2015).  It is kind of getting out of hand.

My husband and I each have our own home offices. My computer was on the fritz that day, so I was sitting in T's office using his computer instead. On his desk was a small bronze container with a lid. I casually opened the lid to see what he kept inside. Imagine my surprise when I saw my missing earring! I screamed for T and he came running. He claimed to have no knowledge of the earring or how it came to be in that container in his office. 

Now remember, he did not go with me to that funeral. His office was upstairs and mine was downstairs. I rarely went into his room. It was just a fluke that I was using his computer that day. How did that earring find its way from Indiana to New York?

I checked my jewelry box and the second earring was still where I put it. I was seriously spooked, trying to imagine there was a reasonable explanation that would present itself in time. I decided to ignore what had just happened. The mind is a powerful force for denial. 

Later in the afternoon the power went out in the house just for a few minutes, long enough for the non-battery driven clocks to go off and start blinking. I reset the downstairs clocks. I went upstairs to use the bathroom and saw the alarm clock in our bedroom blinking. I ignored it, thinking I'd leave it for T to reset because it was somewhat complicated and I am THAT lazy.

By the time we went to bed I had successfully convinced myself nothing strange had happened.  Then I suddenly remembered the alarm clock. I sat up and leaned over to see if the clock was still blinking but noticed the clock had been reset.  I mumbled a thank you to T for resetting it and closed my eyes to go to sleep. A few moments later I heard T mumble, "I didn't reset it, you must have." My eyes flew wide open. I replied, "No... I didn't!" We both lay there for a few long, uncanny minutes feeling unsettled at best. His voice in the dark said something like "Please don't become a big nut!" I assured him I wouldn't and we eventually relaxed enough to fall asleep.

Afterwards, I referred to those earrings as my "magic earrings." I regaled my nieces and nephews with the story. Whenever I travelled I wore them as a good luck charm. One niece in particular, K, would always ask if I was wearing my magic earrings when I was on the plane.


About 16 years later, in 2012, I was flying back to NY from a visit to my daughter in Orlando. Of course I wore my magic earrings. On the way, I realized I had once again lost one.  I figured I had it on borrowed time and was thankful for the joy it had brought me and my large extended family.  I let it go. Perhaps it will find its way back to me again?  Geez, I hope not. I don't think I could handle it.

The remaining magic earring.  I carry it with me inside my purse now.













20 comments:

  1. We say Mom or Uncle Bill must have needed that. It will come back some day. So, who's passing the "missing" earring around right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's better not to question, but just to accept. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a way it is reassuring that not everything has a rational explanation. Well, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes. Like when it happens to someone else. It scared the bejesus outta me.

      Delete
  4. I think you should make a necklace out of it, it's a talisman now.

    I've had something like that happen a few times in my life and they make me feel giddy. Perhaps it's because you have been in this role of euloqizer so many times that they're all saying "Ok, it's time we did something nice for her".

    Perhaps you want to consider making this a small retirement business....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think of it as a talisman. Making it into a necklace is a good idea. I actually have a bunch of jewelry making equipment, so I may just do that.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of making that earring into a necklace. It is a talisman now, and would be wonderful hanging close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had some way of knowing if the one I have now is the one that was lost the first time.

      Delete
  6. Great story! Wonderful mystery! Yes, you should make it into a necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Colette. I read this yesterday and it reminded me of losing an earring that belonged to my great grandmother. I wished my earring would return. I still have the other one.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it will! Loved your ghost story today.

      Delete
  8. My mom had a similar experience in a record. She threw it away because it reminded her so much of a brother that had recently died. It kept coming back.

    Yes, best not to think overmuch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story, Colette. It sounds like your dad was in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just explained my sentiments of not wanting to be a Mother, Wife or Gramma at the Event of my Mom's Passing recently, I just needed and wanted to be a Daughter... exclusively. Well said yet again! You have magic with your written expression my Friend! Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Most of my life I am happy to be in a role that benefits others. It gives life meaning. But there are times that we just want for ourselves. I was alone at my Mom's funeral, too.

      Delete
  11. And BTW: That is a Great Story! Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?