coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, May 12, 2017

Back from the abyss

I can't remember the last time I had the flu, it has been that long. Today is the 12th day of sickness for me. Although I have been up and around since day 7, I am still not 100%. Even now, I would rather lie on the couch than sit up at the computer; but that just makes my back hurt. Too much of a good thing...

Liv wrote earlier this year about her own bout with Influenza B. I remember reading her blog post and thinking, "Damn, it just doesn't want to let her go!" Indeed, B is a greedy, gluttonous bitch. She enfolds you with cadaverous arms, sinks her raggedy-ass teeth in you and sucks all your vitality out while you alternate between fever and chills. After that all you want to do is sleep, apparently for weeks.

The good news is that we went to St. Augustine on day 7 of "B", once I had been fever free for 24 hours. We came home yesterday (day 11). Our daughter and her family rented a small house on Crescent Beach and we went to hang out with them. We have gone there many times in the past. It is one of my favorite places. There was no boogie board frolicking in the ocean or baking in the sun for me this time. However, I could gaze hypnotically at the ocean from the front porch, where there was also a cool ocean breeze and shade, glorious shade.


My husband, T, and son-in-law MV, both had bad head colds this week. My sweet little grandson, N, was seized by that withered bitch, Influenza B, on Monday. Our poor little man is spending his vacation on the couch in the cottage. It was the vacation house of sickness, I'm afraid. However, good times were had in spite of all that sick. What better place to be ill than at the beach, breathing the salt air?


The boardwalk from the cottage to the ocean, surrounded on either side by salt marsh plants


The moon rising over the ocean, behind a saw palmetto

A Gopher Tortoise.  There were also snakes and bunnies living in the salt marsh



I was amazed at how many different varieties of plant life could survive in the salty sand.
This sweet little cactus gets a yellow flower on top
Blanket flower (Gaillardia)?   There were also yellow beach flowers up towards the beach. I wish I had gotten a picture of those, they were lovely.





26 comments:

  1. I hope everyone feels better soon. Hopefully the salt air will be good medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are looking up today! For everyone. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hope everyone recovers well and quickly there. Influenza is really pretty horrible. I had it in 2014, and it seriously kicked my butt. So glad you are on the mend. The seashore looks like the best place to get well in every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. It was a great pleasure convalescing at the sea shore. I felt very literary.

      Delete
    2. and wished I had a parasol.

      Delete
  3. The ocean is a good place for healing. Good to know you and your family were able to spend time there, despite illness. Just looking at your photo of the ocean heals places in me that I didn't realize needed healing. St. Augustine is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. My 13 year old granddaughter asked me what the ocean symbolized. I told her it was the source of life, and represented the creative imagination. I hope I was right.

      Delete
    2. What you told your granddaughter sounds true to me. I have no doubt she will remember your words and the beauty of St. Augustine.

      Delete
  4. It is good to hear that you are better. Take it easy. This was quite a big one from what you have told us. But the ocean, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so lucky to heal there. It was a great pleasure.

      Delete
  5. And I love, love, love the tortoise, reminded me of my time in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you all are better now,you are so lucky to be near the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Yael. It was wonderful to be at the ocean.

      Delete
  7. I had that swine flu several years ago. I was so tired! I remember driving down the highway and thinking I will just close my eyes for a second. Yeah. It makes you so tired and doesn't let up for weeks.
    I am glad you are well enough to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling pretty good. Maybe tomorrow I'll be well. Stranger things have happened.

      Delete
  8. I guess it was a pretty enough "bad" vacation. Hope all of you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are. In fact, it was a terrific "bad" vacation. I will treasure the memory.

      Delete
  9. I had a horrific flu in February when I was supposed to go visit my daughter. Had to cancel. The photos are lovely, especially the boardwalk to the beach. Glad you all survived:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As bad as being sick is, it is good that you were in a beautiful place to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I was quite relaxed. We all were. Nice to step back from this crazy world for a few days.

      Delete
  11. Glad you are nearly better!

    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, not your grandson! I hope his little system stays strong and fights. Maybe it doesn't hit children as hard? That is probably wishful, naive thinking, but my best to him.
    I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad for you, but it sounds like it got you really good. You've still got a ways to go, but the ocean probably knocked a few days off of that - it's a healer. I love what you said to your granddaughter about it being - "the source of life, and represented the creative imagination". You are right.

    The boardwalk to the ocean photo is wonderful, it should be a picture postcard. Unlike the flu, it sucks you in in the very best way.

    Happy, Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, sweet Liv. N is bouncing back.

      Delete
  13. Love the photos. Sorry sick visited upon the house. Hope everyone is well on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?