coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Wine Tasting Tour

I just returned from a long weekend in California's wine country (Napa and Sonoma). T and I went with my brother (Big D) and his wife, Vacation Sue; Baby Sister and her husband, Mikey; Big Sister C; and Little Sister (my youngest brother's wife). There were 8 of us. Big D was the master of ceremonies. He made all the arrangements, wrote up an itinerary, and drove us all around in a large Suburban. It was kind of like the clown car. Whenever we stopped, seemingly hundreds of us poured out of the vehicle, laughing and shouting all the way. 

In addition to visiting a number of wineries, we also spent a day being extremely touristy at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco where we ate at Scoma's, drank Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista, and made a stop at the See's Candy store. It was fun, and also beautiful. Here are a few photos, sorry they are not in order:

The last of the convoy of ships that stormed Normandy beachheads in 1944










Alcatraz


Golden Gate Bridge


I expected to see Popeye on one of these.






C and T in Fisherman's Wharf

19 comments:

  1. I do love San Francisco and the wine country of California, especially Napa and Sonoma are outstanding. What a wonderful place to make great memories with friends. That was a terrific vacation plan and it sounds like a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a delightful excursion. I'm sorry you didn't get to see Popeye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip you had - so much fun! And to hear that the Buena Vista is still there - wow! Haven't been there since my college days, and that was a long time ago... Thanks for sharing your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the double portrait! Looks like it was a relaxing and renewing trip. For me, seeing your photos from Napa County and Sonoma County is like being there. Perhaps rural California will always seem to me to be the most beautiful place on the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful. Although...The Pacific Northwest is no slouch in the beautiful department.

      Delete
  5. I love knowing that you were in California, just a little south of us up here on the north coast. Your timing was great! Gorgeous weather, mild temps, and beauty as far as the eye can see. So glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part of California is SO beautiful. You are lucky to live there.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic photos that help twll the tale of what sounds like a fantastic adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you leave that at 8:33 this morning?? I haven't checked blogger in three weeks(?)but decided to do so today...I must have heard your voice.
    One of this days you and T will have a reason to visit SF again, hope so, and I will fly down for lunch :))
    Loved the pictures, bet you can't tell which was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did leave a message on your blog yesterday. I was just missing you. Lunch sounds great, lol. If only.

      Delete
  8. Great vacation. You certainly deserved that after the hurricane!!!
    The pictures of the vineyards look quite similar to my neighbourhood, the Rhine and Mosel and Ahr valleys. I must dig out some pictures for comparison.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?