coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Goodness Gracious!

Wow!  There sure are a lot of slimeball sexist pigs out there.  Right? 

Everyday it seems like a new one is being called out.  There are so many that no one seems to know what to do with them all.  Hold them accountable, I say!  If it ruins their careers, so be it.  Some of them ruined the careers of the women they dehumanized (think Harvey Weinstein), and I'm a firm believer in the punishment fitting the crime.  Make them apologize publicly at the very least.  Force them to consider their actions and how it impacted on the lives of the women they victimized. THAT's how one "begins" to atone for one's sins - by fully understanding what one has done. Begin being the key word. 

It is good to be sorry for your sins, as long as it is real and changes you for the better.  It is a step in the right direction and may keep you from burning in the fires of hell for eternity (big mytho-poetic smile here). And for those who are still trying to lie and pretend all those women are making it up, sheesh - that just doesn't fly anymore.  Bring on the investigations, regardless of party, or title, or relationship.  Let the chips fall as they may.  


We have been moving backwards the past year. Change, however, is the nature of reality.  Eventually we will stop moving backwards, the political dynamic will re-set, and we will start moving forward again.  I can't help but think it is already happening.  Am I an optimist or a realist?  You tell me. 

12 comments:

  1. A realist. There is no stopping the momentum. I see Al Franken, my "tough hero" being replaced. I see a lot of humbled bullies wondering what to do with the rest of their lives, and perhaps becoming good people again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, doing something bad isn't the worst thing in the world. Not owning up to it or changing yourself to never do it again is the worst thing in the world.

      Delete
  2. This has been a wild, eye-opening time about sexual behavior. I'm hoping we can have a deeper more thoughtful conversation about predation and boundaries. I believe we will start moving forward again, but I still think we're spiraling down at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably true, Robin. Definitely still in free fall as a culture regarding sexual harassment (and worse). But the tide is turning. Slowly. We just have to make way for it, and not try to stop it.

      Delete
  3. I think you are an optimistic realist. I agree that the investigations need to happen. I began to write a long answer here but my computer ate it. I believe it is telling me to make my next post about this so I will. Thank you for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the explosive headlines about Harvey Weinstein first came out, I thought it would be “the big story” of the day or week and then disappear like all the other breaking news. However, something happened and women started to come forward with their stories of sexual harassment in all different walks in life. Maybe, change is brewing. We can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a world where women could go for walks at night alone, or earn the same salaries as men, or could grow up to be the president of the United States?

      Delete
  5. I honestly think that men haven't even begun to understand what this is all about. Even the best of them. And maybe neither have we. When the first false accusation hits the media, the predators will all be absolved in one swoop. Told you so etc.
    (I am trying to finish "The Power" by Naomi Alderman - only fiction but recommended - maybe wait for the TV series.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. Thanks for the book recommendation.

      Delete
  6. I do think that the Weinstein story has opened a box of sexual abuse that can no longer be closed and hushed up. Although I do worry that with so many stories now coming out that the public interest will be saturated and interest will wane, much like "oh, yet another mass shooting?" It is unbelievably sad that these stories are becoming the norm.

    I do agree that we will start moving forward again but I am concerned that with all the appointments of conservative federal judges, that progress will be slowed. Still, I remain an optimist because I still see so much good happening on so the community level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also worry about the long term consequences of the current federal judge appointments.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?