coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Chocolate Cake

I have been craving the perfect chocolate cake for a couple of months.  I try not to have dessert because I absolutely don't need it, and I also want to eat less sugar.  However, a craving is a craving is a craving.  It seems like the longer I deny myself a pleasure the more I want it.  Something has to be done or I might possibly lose my mind.

The other day I caved and made a cake.  It is good, but it isn't the chocolate cake I wanted.  It just isn't.  It isn't dark or fudgy or dense enough.  It occurred to me that what I really craved was a Wegmans Ultimate Chocolate Cake. 

Wegmans is this amazing grocery chain in the Northeast.  If you've never been to one, you simply cannot imagine. It is so good that when family from the Midwest would come to visit us in Upstate NY we would take them to the State Parks, the gorges, the Finger Lakes, the wineries, the Cornell plantations, AND Wegmans. 


They sell this cake in two different sizes: full size and mini. T and I would buy the mini and it was perfect for two servings for each of us. The problem was it was SO good that my second serving would end up being my breakfast the next morning. The cake I made the other day is not that good. Maybe that's a gauge of excellence for chocolate cake. Do you want to eat it for breakfast?

This morning I searched the internet for the recipe. Turns out it is a secret recipe and not to be found. Probably just as well.

Wegman's Mini Ultimate Chocolate Cake

19 comments:

  1. Oh mah goodness, there isn't anything much better than a perfect chocolate cake.

    Drooling now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me thankful chocolate does not trip my trigger. Raspberry/almond cheese cake, however...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to not crave chocolate. But now you have me thinking about cheesecake.

      Delete
    2. So a raspberry, chocolate and almond cheesecake should hook you both. Bwahaha!

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmm... Wegmans chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Tom Walls. I see you are a fan of Wegmans, too.

      Delete
  4. There is a recipe for Chocolate Nemesis (River Cafe, Rose Gray) out on the internet that comes close to perfection. I think 5-6 eggs at least. But I once ate a dessert called Death by Chocolate that hit all the right spots. But now that my guts have aged and suffered years of medications, all I can handle is nibbles. Greedy nibbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found the Chocolate Nemesis recipe! Wow! That might do it. Nibbles are better than nothing. Especially greedy nibbles.

      Delete
  5. Oh my god - I WANT CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!
    Exactly as you say, the dense, dark, fudgy kind ! I like it with a glass of cold milk and I think it is especially, specially good for breakfast.
    OK, I'm giving in, I'm going looking for cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in Calgary there was a restaurant that sold a Chocolate Grand Marnier cake which was moist, delicious and with a hint of orange. Very tasty. |Buttermilk is a good way to add moisture and I use cocoa from Costco, rich and dark. Now I want cake too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is almost midnight and now i want a chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my fave chocolate cake recipe; having never had Wegman's, I don't know how it compares:

    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, first day of my 'no sugar' challenge and I wake to this : ) Fortunately, as much as I love sweets, I can resist cake.

    My youngest daughter went to school in Ithaca and every visit included a trip to Wegmans. My oldest daughter swears they have the best sprinkles in the world and would always come home pounds of the stuff. It's probably a good thing we are a few hours away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know - and I'm sorry. It was unrelated but I took note when I saw your post. As soon as this damn cake is gone I am going back on track with reducing sugar, though. And your post is helpful in that regard. Wegmans also has the best, largest, freshest, most inclusive fruit and vegetable section I have ever seen.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?