coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Rise and Shine

I have become a morning person. I did not see that coming. In my working years I always woke up early, at 6:10 a.m. to be exact. I did not like getting up early in those days. Perhaps it was because I HAD to get up. I resented having to follow an established schedule. Still, it was the way of the world and I did it for many years. I was happy to have the job, the work, the money, the people who filled my life.

Now I am retired and I still wake up about 6:10 a.m. Now it is my choice to either rise and shine or to turn over and go back to sleep. Rarely do I choose the latter. NEWS FLASH: Early morning is a great pleasure. Who knew?


Sometimes I stay in bed for awhile, awake. When luxuriating in bed is meditative and relaxing it is a lovely way to start the morning. Unfortunately, staying in bed can also become an anxiety fest.  Then it is best to get up and start the day. There are things to do. Buddy the Cat wants to be fed, coffee needs to be made, and the computer wants to be started up. Flowers and vegetable plants must be inspected for overnight growth. More often than not T has already fed the cat and started the coffee. Then I stumble around, looking a sight and trying to find my bearings. No rush, no hurry. I can slowly find my way.

A frog, taking her own sweet time


17 comments:

  1. I love laying in bed in the morning and not having to jump up and start my day. It's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all my life been an early riser. My daughter can sleep quite happily until noon! But it used to be that the moment I woke up I would spring out of bed. I think I might not have wanted those moments of contemplation, etc. But now I have learned, like you, to relax a bit and nestle into the warmth while I think about the things I want to do that day. I give myself an extra hour of rest in the morning, but I think I also stay up a bit longer than I used to...you'd think that would be going the opposite way in one's late 60's...?
    Love the photo of the frog. Have you been photographing all your life? You have definite talent for it. It's like we get a little treat with the post. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback about the photographs. I have been trying to get more serious about taking pictures the last 20 years or so. :) We used to have massive perennial gardens up North and my pictures were all about flowers. Now we have few flowers, so I'm branching out a bit. Thanks again for noticing.

      Delete
  3. I haven't reached your level of nirvana, yet, but I do like a job I need to fulfill, mostly at my discretion, and time left to handle the rest of what I must do. Not setting the alarm will be wonderful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some getting used to, but well worth the effort. I must admit I sometimes miss having a job. 2 days a week, 6 hours a day would be nice.

      Delete
  4. Thos morning it was 5 and out with the pooch by 5:30. Just like any other day. I wonder what mornings will look and feel like when I don't have to get up and out.

    Your photos are quite intriguing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 is SO early. Ouch. Thanks for the kind words about my photos.

      Delete
    2. Yes, 5 is early. On work mornings, I set the alarm for 5:15 but am usually awake before it chimes.

      You're welcome.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes it most certainly is! Welcome Sandra.

      Delete
    2. If I had known that retirement was going to be this much fun,I would have retired first instead of spending 27 years as a nurse, lol. No seriously I found my work in NICU very rewarding & wouldn't change a thing.

      Delete
    3. That must have been a great job, a NICU nurse. Hard and demanding, but also satisfying helping those little newborns.

      Delete
  6. I am definitely a morning person! My favorite time of day. I love the beauty and the silence that only a morning can bring...and also coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee! Many blogs could be written about THAT. I'm just getting ready to have my first cup of the day right now. Welcome to my blog Optimistic Existentialist.

      Delete
  7. I find myself keeping to working schedules despite retiring from my Corporate Lives... I worked Night Shifts mostly and still tend to be a Night Owl even tho' I no longer have to be. I have tried becoming a Morning Person since I'm raising a couple of our Grandchildren and so must get up early to ready them for school and drive them there... but I'd rather be able to sleep in and am SO looking forward to their Summer Vacay, just 48 more hours to go! Yay! Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be hard to switch from nights to days. I enjoy reading about your grandkids. I hold grandmothers who raise their grandkids in the highest esteem. Many happy morning dreams to you this summer.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?