coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Big Payoff

It wasn't like I was ever going to have what some people refer to as "a life's work." I spent my adult life working jobs I was only remotely interested in. I made the best of it. I tried to do a good job and I opened myself to the work, whatever that happened to be. Consequently, I also enjoyed myself, probably more than I should have... why not?  I am proud of that, but I knew I was just a cog in that rusty old wheel. It is what it is and it seems the challenge is to accept reality and still find a way to be happy. Or, perhaps the reality is that you have to accept the challenge?

One of the things I appreciate about retirement is that I am able to focus for more than a few seconds on "things." Now if I read a book I can actually think about plot, character development, and nuance. I am once again aware of symbolism. I can even read a poem all the way through and decipher meaning. There were a few stressful years toward the end of my work life when I could not even read the damn newspaper. 

This is what it is like for us regular folks. We endure. We make the best of it for ourselves, our families, our future. We keep our heads above water for as long as we can. Then, if we are lucky, we retire.


A rusted wheel on a bridge overlooking Lake Apopka, still doing its job

14 comments:

  1. Amen. I would add that life is what you make it, so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been very lucky to have a career that I love and that has a lot of meaning and satisfaction for me. I am now loving semi-retirement because I can still work but I have much more time to do those soul feeding activities like reading and gardening. I am very grateful to have the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why it's so hard to leave that stressful world behind, it can be all encompassing.
    I'm always so tickled to hear your adjustment and your constant new awareness of the world around you and the little treasures that get hidden with the distractions of a "career". You're bit by bit,leaving that behind and setting up a new world here in "retirement" and you seem to enjoy it more and more each day. It's a nice process to watch and it makes me think about how I live my "retirement" too.
    I put it in quotation marks because I'm never really sure what it is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that observation. It is quite true. It takes a lot of work to accept not working as a reasonable lifestyle.

      Delete
  4. You are sooo right. I worked as a bookseller for a couple of years in a very large bookshop and all I read in that time was invoices, sellers' blurbs and packing sheets. At least I enjoyed opening the boxes but reading was but a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same. i retiered 2 years ago .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we have more time for our grandchildren.

      Delete
  6. The last bit says it all.

    While I'm several years from any possible retirement, re-structuring and simpliflying my life as much as possible now, will help me then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, I love retirement! It's almost like being a kid again. The responsibility factor takes a sharp downward plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kind of feel like I'm growing down instead of growing up. Great feeling.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?