coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Cute Tomato

Well, if you can believe it I ate our second homegrown tomato of the season this morning. I chopped it up and sprinkled it on a split five grain baguette piece, topped it with sharp cheddar and stuck it in the oven until the bread was toasted and the cheese melted. Yum. It was almost as good as a bagel.

We have a couple of teeny raised beds and we are able to start planting some things in March here in Florida. Since we bought tomato plants instead of starting them from seed, we have a nice head start on the fresh produce.

Our 4 year-old grandson, N, took the actual "first" tomato from the garden earlier this month. He wanted to take it home to Daddy. Unfortunately, his father was unable to eat it because by the time he received it the tomato was mush. It seems N used the tomato as a ball. We live and learn.

Little N is my partner in this year's vegetable gardening adventure. He helped me plant seeds for carrots, beets, snow peas, cilantro, green beans, zucchini, and basil. There was much excitement when the seeds started to grow. He likes to water the beds when he comes over to visit. Then he waters the fence, the shed, the house, and me. He loves the power of the sprayer, but he is still learning to control it. When he holds it in his grubby little hands he becomes a de facto sprinkler system. I love that kid. It is a joy watching him learn new things and make new connections in his little mind. It would be wonderful to have a mind so open and uncluttered again.  

and here is the third tomato of the season, coming right up

10 comments:

  1. Yum... the garden, the tomato (and melted sharp cheddar) and the sweet, exuberant innocence of childhood... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allergies kept tomatoes (and tomato based products) off my radar for most of my life. Though still allergic, age has eased the severity of the outbreaks so, may enjoy on occasion.

    Your love shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetheart boy. I sure you spend a lot of time kissing little round cheeks and get your share in return :)
    Ah, tomatoes! The first bite of a warm tomato while standing in the garden is a little bit of heaven. Yours look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tomato was drownded in the downpour earlier this week... unbeknownst to my mother and I, the 'perfect' spot where I placed the container was exactly where water runs off the roof. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealous. I did put a few of my heirloom tomato seedlings in the ground but we have frost warnings for tonight.

    We won't have garden tomatoes until August but I think the anticipation makes them taste even better : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be jealous. In August it will be so hot here that I won't be able to go outside from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. My tomatoes will be dead and gone by then.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?