coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Health caring, at least

I'm reasonably good about taking care of myself.  I exercise, eat well, and go to all the required doctors (and dentist) for all the annual exams. I do this in spite of the fact that, like many others, I absolutely hate going to the doctor.

I have this "not very well thought out" belief that if I go to a doctor, they WILL find something wrong that needs to be fixed. It's their job, for crying out loud. I know this is ridiculous. But since it is a belief (i.e., emotion based) I don't feel inclined to defend it as an idea (i.e., logic based).

Consequently, I was not surprised when my dermatologist found a basal cell carcinoma on my face. It has been there for a few years. My previous dermatologist pooh pooh'd it. I tried someone new this time. She biopsied and sent it off to the lab. A week later, she cut it out. Then I had the indignity of spending another week with 4 stitches between my nose and my lip on the right side. The swelling pushed my nose up on one side, and my top lip hung down over the bottom in the opposite direction. She also froze off 4 actinic keratosis on other areas of my face. I looked lovely.

Now I'm in the market for a big floppy hat. Perhaps one like Sally Rayburn wore on Bloodlines? That might be big enough to hide me from my enemy, the relentless *^$@! sun.

The only problem is that, unlike Sissy, I am not a skinny little person. I am a chubby little person. Consequently, a hat like this will likely make me look like my totem animal, the turtle. As one gets older, life seems to become a series of indignities. I'm getting used to it.

Sissy Spacek as Sally Rayburn in Bloodlines on Netflix





16 comments:

  1. Wear it proudly Colette! So glad you got a new doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big hat wore out. I'm shopping for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you end up getting. I might just copy you.

      Delete
  3. Really sorry to read that you are dealing with this in the sunny sunny sunshine state. Roger has had squamous cell carcinoma removed from his face and many actinic keratosis frozen. So, now he wears his hat whenever he's outside. I hope you find something charming and beautiful to wear to block that SUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm searching. I may get a couple hats. Sorry to hear that Roger suffers with this nonsense, too.

      Delete
  4. I can so relate to this! Just had four areas zapped this week and now have some lovely blisters, two on my face. The sun here in Florida seems to demand a burqa! But aren't we lucky to have competent dermatologists and insurance to pay them? When you consider the alternative? Good luck finding a nice, glamorous sunhat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO thankful to have good health insurance. Now more than ever.

      Delete
  5. I'll bet you will look stunning in your new hat. And even better in your damage free skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today might be the first day in a month that look presentable.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got a new doctor who didn't pooh pooh. Yay for treatments and big hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of excited about the big hats. I'm definitely happy that I am finally finding some doctors down here that I like and trust.

      Delete
  7. So glad you got a new doctor who didn't pooh pooh. Yay for treatments and big hats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dermatology appointment is tomorrow morning. Having Irish skin and not taking care of my self (sunning myself to sunburn, but hoping it will turn into tan), has made me lie to my dermatologist. " Yes, I wear a hat all the time (really half), and yes, I put on sunscreen every time I go out ( only in the morning - sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,gee - If you're only going to put sunscreen on half the time, do it in the afternoon. That's when the sun is most dangerous. Having said that, I got these things when I lived up north and rarely used sunscreen but was outside working in the garden all the time and going for walks at work over my lunch hour. In Florida I take it very seriously. Best of luck with your appointment!

      Delete
  9. I am looking forward to posts about hats and your new style.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?