coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Grace

I am NOT religious. However, I am curious about religions, and religiosity. I've been intrigued by the concept of "grace" since I stumbled upon it in a Catholic Encyclopedia entry one lunch hour when I had nothing better to do than to sit in the library, looking through reference books. I came upon "grace" and it kind of blew my mind. Here's one definition:

"In Western Christian theology, grace has been defined, not as a created substance of any kind, but as "the love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not necessarily because of anything we have done to earn it"

I guess you can imagine why it appealed to me.  Getting something for doing nothing, not asking for it, not expecting it, and not deserving it in any way. Wow. Sign me up.

The agnostic who lives inside my brain is screaming "it is totally random, dumb luck, girlfriend!" 

But still, sometimes wonderful random things happen and they seem like a gift. Sometimes they change your life and things are never the same again. Of course random bad things happen, too.  But I am trying not to go there. Not today.

“Citrus Worker” by William Ludwig, Leu Gardens, Orlando, Florida



20 comments:

  1. Post church days, I take grace as unexpected love and kindness shown us by friend, foe or stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like this definition. I never think about the word "grace" so now I will, and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me grace is that inner beauty of kindness shown to those around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A magical quality, for sure. And it makes the world a better place.

      Delete
  4. Pretty much whay Joanne said.

    Oh yeah, sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! In a world where we have to work hard and long to get ahead, it is nice to know there is always the possibility of grace.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way Joanne does also in my post church days. I know that I am truly blessed and believe grace is love and that is something that is within all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first foreign language was Latin (my dad had very strict ideas when it came to secondary education), English came second and (thankfully) a large portion of the English language derives from Latin.
    That switch is still there in my mind confusing words and meanings just because these pesky ancient Romans insisted that gratia (grace) means gratitude and favour and thanks, while merces (mercy) means compensation and reward. Heathens, all of them, myself included.
    But I like the religious concept of mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I wonder if Divine grace in this context is more akin to favor. It is a gift. It wouldn't be compensation or reward, because it is undeserved. Mercy is another word that confounds me. Anyway, thanks for this. I wish I had grown up knowing Latin. I certainly grew up hearing it often enough.

      Delete
  7. You have a beautiful and serene blog my friend with inspiring way of writing!

    In our very short period of life we spend mot of our time in fulfilling the dreams and desires that completely belong to physical existence .
    we totally ignore to live our spiritual side of life , to ponder upon countless blessings that our Creator has given us without asking for them .
    hardly few of us realize the existence and IMPORTANCE of these blessings and it turn their life into a phenomenal spiritual experience
    They live life in REAL means and enjoy their living through the most precious gift of life " tHE REALIZATION OF hAVING BLESSINGS IN LIFE!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very similar to a parents' love for a child. We love them not necessarily because of anything they have done to earn it. and they test that notion almost daily : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe in GRACE wholeheartedly. I believe I have received it and it is enriched when I can recognize it and learn to be grateful and the pass any grace I have received onto the next person I encounter. Grace is trying to be a better human but knowing me and my Higher Power are OK no matter what.

    Hahaha...for what that's worth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zk26KXSH3g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Leave it to the Irish to dig deep and open us up to grace.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?