coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, October 19, 2018

If you are in it for the long haul

If you are in it for the long haul, you have to pace yourself. 

It is important to know when to rest, when to breathe deep, and when to look away. From time to time we must step back in order to come back swinging. Not only is that okay, it is essential.

And don't forget pleasure! Pleasure and joy play a role in sustaining a long struggle. Those are the moments that remind us life is worth living. Balance requires joy.

What is life but a series of obstacles that must be overcome? One can always surrender, it's true. But where is the fun in that? What is more important in your life than fighting the good fight? 

Struggle is the great work. If you can maintain hard work and committed living for the long run, in spite of the pain, you will have lived a heroic life. I guess there are some who don't particularly want to be heroic. I don't really understand that mindset, but I know it is a valid choice. Lots of good people live quiet lives. Do I envy them? Yes, some days I do. They remind us of what life could be like if life was normal.


For many of us, for whatever reason, life will never be normal. You are the people I'm talking to right now. Pace yourself. 

Being normal is overrated

18 comments:

  1. "If you can maintain hard work and committed living for the long run, in spite of the pain, you will have lived a heroic life."

    Yes. Living completely, with both love and pain. Pacing ourselves. Taking turns, resting and being active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now live a fairly quiet life. I had a long life full off turmoil so I deserve it. I adore that tree. Such character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to add the importance of keeping your eyes on the ball. Figure out your goal in life and keep a laser focus on achieving that. It's all too easy to be distracted….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in all ways find a balance. Take a breath, pace yourself, and come out swinging. Love that tree photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I hated the idea of having to live a quiet life! Anything but was my motto.
    Now, it's the other way round. That balance is the trick. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It is hard to remember to slow down when things seem so desperate. Retreat, relax, regroup, and then resume. I try to remember to do that when necessary.

      Delete
  6. I love that photo! I feel like my life is fairly quiet, but I suppose we all go through periods of upheaval and maintaining balance through the struggle is always good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage advice and a good reminder. Breathe and be present. That’s how I’ll start my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathe and be present! I love that. I'm going to try it myself.

      Delete
  8. I sent you a comment about this post, but it wouldn't preview and wouldn't publish. Tried again, no go. Then discovered I had some problems with my Gmail acount, now resolved I hope. Whatever wit the comment contained now escapes me. If it got through and was wasp-zapped I'll understand. This comment is something of a test transmission to see whether all is well - technically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wasp zapping on this end. I usually do that in the spring.

      Delete
  9. "What is life but a series of obstacles that must be overcome?"

    That is a rather dark view of life to start with. I much prefer "what is life but an adventure." It's all about attitude. Although one does need to occasionally rest from their adventures too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS rather dark. Still, I don't really see it all as an adventure. Wish I did.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?