coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Winning Personality


I have been sorting through my failures and taking inventory of my limitations now that I have the time in retirement to tackle all this self-indulgent nonsense.  I must say it is a thankless job and it is taking a whole lot longer than I thought it would. 


I guess one of my problems is I like to win.  I am trying to figure out if this is a character flaw or a virtue.  Actually, I quite like that part of myself.  I think I will keep that.


Why am I subjecting myself to this torture?  For one thing, I am trying to learn how to become more comfortable with failure because failure is often the fertilizer for new ideas. A new idea or two wouldn't kill me.


I am also trying to get to know myself at 64.  I am probably not too old to change.  If I find some qualities I really cannot stand I might try to change myself.  A little.  Just a little bit.  Yes, it is that damn change thing again!  Now I suppose I am too comfortable with change and will become addicted to it.  Sheesh.

I am pretty clear on how
we gain knowledge.  Wisdom, of course, is something else. I am not exactly sure just what wisdom is or how you become wise.  If I figure it out, I will let you know.  Or perhaps you will tell me?  Either way is fine with me.

14 comments:

  1. Wisdom either comes from experience or age. Which is why teenagers are so freaking stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. I really like teenagers, but being one and then raising one were both rough jobs.

      Delete
  2. I'm very competitive as well and dislike having my shortcomings pointed out to me. I already know many of them. I'm much kinder to myself now when I make mistakes though. I treat myself as I would treat a child. Tell myself that it's ok. That I can learn from this and probably do better next time. I don't feel the need to be perfect so much anymore as I get older either which is nice. My memory is also not so good anymore, I'm 53, and it does frustrate me but what can I do? It is somewhat satisfying to tell someone that you have no memory of a conversation or a guideline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, it IS somewhat satisfying.

      Like you, I also tell myself everything is OK when I'm feeling "off." It seems to helps with anxiety. Sometimes I think that is all I really need to hear when I am overcome.

      Delete
  3. I keep coming back here trying to write a comment about wisdom, but apparently I am not wise enough : ) But I do think self evaluation and trying to "polish" one's self is a very worthwhile goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives me something worthwhile to do. That and babysitting for my grandson. He is very wise and, apparently, knows it all.

      Delete
    2. I just happened about this - wisdom is when you reside in the place where the mind and heart meet.

      Delete
  4. I think there are a lot of ways to learn to be wise.
    Well, all of the above one's, indeed. And maybe also just being quiet. I learn a lot when I just keep my big mouth shut. It seems that I can better hear and see when I do so. With a big mouth like mine...easier said than done!

    "It's the wise woman who knows when another woman is even wiser."
    Found that in an old magazine - love it!

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?