coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Cold, Hard Truth

It is a comfort to have friends who will always support me, always be on my side. I have only had a couple of friends like that in my life; they have been few and far between. I treasure them, those rare souls who are willing to love me without pause. We all need friends like that.  However, I also like having a few friends in my life who will tell me the cold, hard truth.

Sugarcoating the truth does not count. I am not subtle. You must be direct with me. In fact, you kind of have to hit me over the head with a fully realized idea otherwise I will probably not see through the coating. Just don't hit me too hard or I might hit back. Sorry! It is an involuntary reflex.

Like Aretha I need some respect. A
little respect goes a long way. Consequently, I prefer the cold hard truth served up with a dollop or two of pure intentions. Truth is a tricky business and is best delivered without hidden agendas or axes to grind. I wish I was better at both delivering and receiving the truth, because sometimes it can be such a gift.

I think the trick might be in leaving one's ego aside. I am not only talking about the person who is receiving the truth (that is a given), I am also talking about the person who is attempting to deliver it. Sometimes our egos get in the way of our effectiveness. 


Which brings me to George Jones singing The Cold Hard Truth. I do not usually listen to country music, but I definitely have some country favorites. When it comes to music I try to keep an open mind. Good thing, too, because otherwise I might have missed this old man singing his damn heart out:

7 comments:

  1. I can take the cold hard truth if it is sugar-coated and delivered by someone who cares. I shy away from giving it because of the hurt I will probably inflict on someone. Words are powerful and stay longer than the worst bruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People in my life are not interested in the cold, hard truth; they are totally cocooned in their own sugar coated truth. The hard slog is left to those with conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sci fi image of people being totally cocooned in their own sugar coated truth. I prefer the hard slog. I also like the term "hard slog" a lot. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. My sister asked me a question a couple of years ago and I told her the truth. She didn't like that at all. Haven't spoken to her since. The truth is often uncomfortable and can even be very painful but I do prefer it.

    "This is not a bakery. I'm not going to sugar coat it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that line about setting our egos aside. As I get older - what do I mean get older..I'm Old! - I find that I can no longer make friends with people who don't know that secret. It's really the foundation for a good relationship, whether it is friend or partner or even family - although the latter seems the hardest to accomplish.
    It's a joy to have found you, Collette, I love the way you think from your gut so often. It makes your writing so meaningful. No sugar there, just truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on, maybe there's a little sugar in there? :) Thanks Liv, you are also a joy.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?