coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Stand!

In an alternate reality I would have made a good soldier. I have a gift, at least I think it is a gift. I don't react to crisis in the moment. Instead, I fight. It isn't until a few days or even a week later that the gravity of the situation fully hits me and I collapse. 

I am exhausted with worry about all the things happening in the world right now. This will pass.  Not the worry, not the need to fight; those are going to stick around for a long, long time. I am talking about the exhaustion. I know fatigue is a natural reaction in times of great loss and extreme stress, so I am not particularly concerned about how I feel right now. I have been taking it easy the past few days, trying to get some rest. Today I have to get up off the couch and start tackling Thanksgiving preparations. That will be a good reason to re-enter polite society. 


My oldest sister, Sister C, shared this with me right after the presidential election. I find this song by Sly and the Family Stone as inspirational now as I did in the late 1960's. It is going to help me stand up and get on with my life. It reminds me how good strength feels. It reminds me that in the dark times of the soul, artists create art, musicians create music, actors allow us to see the world through another person's eyes. They turn their pain into art, and they uplift us all in the process.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the U.S.A. Like so many of you, I will be thankful for my family. Today I am thankful for Sly Stone. Enjoy.


10 comments:

  1. Yes, we carry on quietly in our space because we know we are millions strong. What we do is the ripple that becomes the wave and even the tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we carry on quietly in our space because we know we are millions strong. What we do is the ripple that becomes the wave and even the tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending this twice because it gives me a chance to answer twice, ha!

      We have been underestimated. I pity the fool.

      Delete
  3. I would make a terrible soldier. I freeze in a crisis.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then maybe you would have to be a diplomat. Or a shaman. Or a healer. Or any number of other things :) It's all good. We all have our separate talents.

      Delete
  4. Sending love to you and your family for Thanksgiving!

    Interesting that you mentioned Sly and the Family Stone today. I always think of them this time of year because of traumatic events in my life related to the Vietnam War. I won't go into them. This is the song I hear in my mind:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5VODa-eTY

    That was on the radio during the years when Nixon was president.

    "... Dyin' young is hard to take
    Sellin' out is harder ... "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! This song (Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) is actually my very favorite Sly and the Family Stone song!!! They were wonderful. You're breaking my heart, sweetheart. Sending love your way, too.

      Delete
  5. Perfect note. Perfect reminder.

    Hope you had an enjoyable and peace filled day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Middle Girl. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, too.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?