coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Monday, December 12, 2016

Holiday Glitz

The tree is decorated. T put up the outside lights. No tasteful white here! We go full-on gaudy in this house, dontcha know. Not that I dislike white. I quite like other people's all-white lights. I find the all-white shtick soothing and calm, as well as exquisitely beautiful. However, Christmas decorating is personal. It is folk art, so I gotta be me. I have always wished I was a soothing and calm sort of person, but I'm not. I'm shooting for the overstimulated, bouncing off the walls, bacchanal effect. I am happy to report that colored lights and sparkly glitz have made a positive difference in my attitude. I am now feverishly in frenzy mode.

I made my mother's fruitcake. I went ahead and added those red candied cherries I was insufferable about avoiding in previous years. Bring 'em on!

I live in constant fear of chocolate fudge. Homemade fudge is my nemesis. One piece on Christmas Eve and I'm off and running, eating everything in sight until Saint Patrick's Day. Oh gee, now that I've thought about fudge I just know I will end up making some.


I mailed out all my Christmas cards; however, I mailed most of them without putting our return address on the top left. Sheesh. This is what happens when an old lady in complete frenzy mode tries to do more than one thing at a time. Then I had to go on FB and post that I did that.  Why? Well, I didn't want anyone who got the card without the return address to think I didn't realize what I had done.


A postcard my friend Chilly Hollow sent in 1988.  On the back is the best fudge recipe ever.  Damn you Chilly!




17 comments:

  1. I had to stop making fudge because I would make it and eat the whole pan, by myself. Not good. Well, it was very good but not good for me.

    I love colored lights. They make me happy. My husband put them on a remote controlled switch and our granddaughter was over yesterday and we spent a fair bit of time turning the lights off and on. She had a blast. Me too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas frenzy is in full bloom. I learned from my mother that Christmas is the time for being gaudy. The brighter, the more colorful, the overdoing of decorations is welcomed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a special joy. A time for stepping outside the norm.

      Delete
  3. Just so you know--I've made the fudge twice in the last two weeks. What the heck! Fat people don't have wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO making that fudge this year. I don't want to have any wrinkles left by St. Patrick's Day.

      Delete
    2. That's the spirit! said the woman who had two pieces for breakfast.

      Delete
  4. And you're not sharing the best fudge recipe ever ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost scanned both sides. Here it is in Chilly Hollow's own words from 1988:
      "In medium saucepan combine 1 jar (5 to 10 oz) marshmallow creme, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2/3 c. evaporated milk (a small 5 oz. can), 1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick) and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly over moderate heat. Boil 5 minutes exactly, still stirring all the time. Remove from heat and add 2 cups (one 12 oz package) chocolate chips. Stir until melted, then add 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir until smooth. Pour into greased 8' square pan and let cool. Do not refrigerate to cool or to keep later. Refrigerators are bad for the best fudge."

      Delete
    2. I think this is from the back of a marshmallow creme jar. I've been making it for decades and it's our favorite chocolate fudge ever.

      Delete
  5. I'm sending plates of cookies off to friends and neighbors because if I indulge, I will be off on the same eating frenzy. It's fun to stand and make cookies until one of us drops, but then they have to go. Adios. Skedaddle. Go make someone else fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. What are Laura's favorite Xmas cookies?

      Delete
  6. I grew up with large colored lights on the Christmas tree but went white when I got married. Now with these newer LED colored lights, I have moved into the world of blues, purples, greens and red. Like you, it makes me smile and I feel better about things. Well, most things anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a real fan of the blues and purples, although I don't have any. Maybe next year. I'm happy to hear you are feeling a little better about things.

      Delete
  7. Holy moly! I have already gained...hold on for this...8! pounds in the last three months. What is going on? Thank god I don't like fudge, but obviously I sure do like a whole lot of other things.

    Gaudy is my default, love it. I always try to have a bowl of those ribbon like candies, like we used to have when I was a kid. Hard to find now, but I'm sure I'll find something else, and probably eat more than my share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother always had ribbon candy when I was young. She said it was her mother's favorite. Google it. It is still available.

      What's going on to make us eat like crazy? Well, the world is falling apart. That's why I am no longer counting calories, anyway. Some people lose weight when they are depressed. Some of us eat.

      Delete
  8. I think you and Chilly Hollow need to share that fudge recipe - you know, in the interests of peace and good will.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?