coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, July 2, 2021

Scandaleux!

I went with daughter M, and grandkids E, and N to Epcot. It is the Disney theme park with many countries represented, including France (where we ate lunch). E had escargot as an appetizer. Niko had pommes frites, of course, and nothing else. We bought a hat for a cat in Japan. We did a scavenger hunt that took us all over the "world." The Garden and Flower Festival is going on right now, so the flora was lush and colorful. We usually buy a Boddington's at the pub in England, or a Margarita in Mexico, but this time we were saving ourselves for France.  

I paid $40 for a meal consisting of thin and fatty fillet mignon, overcooked green beans, and mashed potatoes that had clearly been sitting on a plate long enough to form a skin.
 Highway robbery! As a woman named Colette, I was scandalized. I think the real France should be notified. They are being misrepresented.  


I took some pictures to make you laugh, or scratch your head, or make you wish you were there. Whatever floats your boat. I've included a display of berets for sale in the French store. I sent it to my friend Anne de Nantes. She assured me the French wear berets ALL the time, even when they go swimming at the beach. Ha! 


I must admit, it was a fun day with people I love so much I could scream.




























Here's the view from Japan


















The cat in the hat

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day there. My sister took her daughter and grandson to Disneyland in Southern California the other day too. It is the season for Disney fun! So glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some Americans the French are frozen in time. Embalmed in cliché. Too superior to be considered as human beings.

    The French get their revenge when these Americans arrive in Paris expecting unrehearsed copulation down every back-street, unbelievably complicated meals, 20-women squadrons of young women dancing the can-can in country bars, and a male population engorged with sexual fantasies about American women.

    Instead they get tight-lipped, uncaring waiters.

    Standing on the upper deck of the Eiffel Tower they tell themselves that the Empire State is taller and gain some satisfaction from this.

    On the other hand there are those Americans who revel in the most up-to-date versions of French argot, make a bee-line for the Marché des Puces and argue prices over dubious first editions, reject Beaujolais on the basis of hating the Gamay grape, and rent a Deux Chevaux for transportation.

    You really are a varied lot you Yanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. The country is so big, and there are so many of us. Despite the transformative effects of TV, social media, and McDonald's, regionalism still abounds and absolutely means something. The gene pool is wildly diverse. If we had to be defined by the four elements of nature, it would have to be fire.

      Delete
    2. You'll enjoy this: When I told (texted) my friend Anne de Nantes about the quality of the meal I had in "France" she replied "On en a guillotiné pour moins!!!"

      Delete
  3. Glad you had so much fun!
    The stereotypes of Epcot are sounding a bit outdated. Not sure what to do about that, tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to updates things. However, any films they have done inform their merchandise. Consequently, "France" is still living in the time of Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast.

      Delete
  4. Love the cat hat! I haven't been to Epcot since about 1984. I know things are a lot different now! I wonder if any French people work in the France restaurant? You could just be getting Orlando's version of France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The French wear berets ALL the time, even when they go swimming at the beach." Why of course they do. And they're always clutching a fresh baguette - especially when they're swimming.

    $40 for such a poor main course? Merde!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these parks. Do you have a Legoland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do. My grandson has been there, but I have not.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a grand time was had by all... and except for that overpriced awful meal it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of fun. The others' meals were good.

      Delete
  8. Somehow I lost your blog when I switched over to a new blog with a new name. I'm sure the kids had a wonderful time. That overpriced meal sounds disgusting.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?