coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Monday, June 28, 2021

Contact

I am struggling with contact dermatitis this week. 

The house next door has a plethora of mango trees. Since it is occupied by renters, the trees have not been pruned. They're huge. Consequently, ripe mangos weigh down the tall branches and fall in our yard, not the worst thing in the world! 

The other day there was a storm and the high wind broke a large branch off one tree into our yard. I don't believe anyone is even living next door right now, so I wandered over and stripped the branches of mangoes (quite the haul!) before my husband dragged the large branch out to the street for disposal.  I was psyched for mango delights.

The next day my left eye was nearly swollen shut, and I had red rashes all over my lower arms and upper chest. Even some on my right foot. Yeah, I had been wearing flip flops and a v-necked t-shirt when greedily claiming my spoils the night before. No rashes around my mouth, though. I guess that means I'm not allergic to the fruit.  

I remembered the leaves and mangoes were covered with sticky sap.  I googled:

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear this! Hope you are able to get relief soon. There are quite a few suggestions on line which I am sure you have checked out. Hope you can soothe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope you can enjoy the mangoes, at least! When I was a little kid in Tampa, we had a mango tree in our front yard. My mom forbade me to even touch it, because she was so afraid I'd have an allergic reaction. And then a big freeze killed it -- problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mangoes were great. Apparently I can eat them if someone else peels them. I've never had a problem with store bought. I've just never harvested any from a tree before.

      Delete
  3. Colette-- I am so sorry that you experiencing this. It sounds terrible and uncomfortable. I hope you have found some relief with ointments or something. Please take care. I hope this goes away FAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an ointment, and benedryl. Soon it will be in the past.

      Delete
  4. OH DAMN!! That is rude surprise!Is there enough ointment on the planet to quell the reaction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite rude, ha! But this too shall pass.

      Delete
  5. Soon the allergy will disappear and you will enjoy the mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For every silver lining, a cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what to say to that. Funny, tho.

      Delete
  7. Yikes!!! Hope that reaction subsides soon. That's scary. Thank goodness for Dr. Google. Who would suspect that mango sap could cause such a reaction and who would be on it more quickly than Dr. Google?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Dr. Google. He's always on call.

      Delete
  8. That is one mango haul. You will have mango slushies for a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I'm too afraid to eat them.

      Delete
  9. Yuk. Maybe rinse them before you touch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'll be touching any for a long, long time. But yes, that would certainly help.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I never heard of an allergy to mango sap. I hope it clears up quickly, and I hope you enjoy that bumper haul of mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either. Big surprise!

      Delete
  11. Quite a Mango haul, sorry you have had a bad reaction tho' to the Sap.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?