coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Monday, October 18, 2021

Travel, how I hate it.

Tomorrow we fly north to see our extended family. I have a million things to do. 

Tom threw his back out overnight!  He's getting cold, heat, ibuprofen, rest - whatever it takes to get him back in fighting form. I haven't been "home" in 3 years. There are 4 toddlers I have never met, and a grand niece and nephew I've only seen once. I miss my family like crazy. 

I went online to check us in (24 hours in advance) and also changed our baggage choices from carry-on to checked so he doesn't feel compelled to lift heavy bags up high when we board the plane.  

I accidentally knocked a full glass of water off the kitchen counter.  It shattered all over the floor.   

I did laundry, and packed our bags on and off all day. It's so hard to make decisions. I'm making lists so I don't forget anything.  

I drove to the bank to get cash. There was only one bank clerk. The man in front of me was trying to do something shady. The bank clerk wouldn't let him. He was argumentative. It took forever.  Grrrr!

I went to the store to buy magazines and snacks. Then I stopped at a gas station to fill up the car's tank. The outside card reader wouldn't take my credit card. I had to go inside to pay (horrors). My card worked fine inside.  

But while I was driving home a red light on the dashboard started flashing at me. Apparently there's something wrong with the brakes. I guess we'll take Tom's car instead of mine.  I wonder if his car has a reasonably full gas tank?

When I got home I accidentally knocked another glass full of water off the exact same place on the kitchen counter. It shattered, too.  

As I was writing this, I got a call from my doctor's office telling me my lab results. Apparently I'm pre-diabetic, for crying out loud.  

I did a little housecleaning. The house is still a mess. Who cares?




21 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, that sounds like such a stressful day for you. Once you are on the plane, you can take a deep breath and get ready to enjoy your family and relax! Hope your husband's back feels better and you both have a wonderful time! Calm down - it will be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely capture the dread and anxiety of travel. It reminded me so much of how I felt getting ready to head 700 miles south (by car) to see my mom. I hope your journey goes well. I hope Tom is feeling better. Enjoy every moment with your family. (No more broken glasses!)
    PS-- I'm pre-diabetic too. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a book I used to read my kids, Grover's Bad Awful Day.

    I hope everything eventually turns out ok and that the trip goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is more an attempt at dark humor than anything else. We're fine. The fact that you could take the time to say this to me blows my mind. You have SO much on your plate right now. You are amazing.

      Delete
  4. Wow. You had a day of it. It's good to get the bad luck out of the way before you leave. Then you will have a wonderful trip and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh geez what a day! I sure hope all the bad is finished and your trip will be all good. What does one do if pre-diabetic? Diet? Okay after your trip north! Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low carb, cut out sugar (I think). Will be exploring the options.

      Delete
  6. Yikes! Too much coming at you two all at once. That's for sure. I'm imagining it will be beautiful to be in the north when you and Tom get past all these obstacles. Sending love in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We're actually back. I wrote this last week and didn't post it before I left. We had a beautiful visit.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was a wonderful visit with my siblings and their families. I'll write a little about it later.

      Delete
  8. Oh you poor thing. I just wanted to come help you out while I read that. I do hope your visit made up for it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I settled down and we had a fabulous visit with family.

      Delete
  9. TWO glasses?! Yikes! Maybe you need some plastic cups. :)

    I hate it when I buy gas and I have to go inside. It seems like such an imposition, but it wasn't so long ago we all had to do that every time! (Before automated pumps.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic glasses do seem like a good idea. Ha!

      Delete
  10. Just as you are preparing to fly the coop and meet your extended family, we are going into reverse. Too many people in the UK seem to think the pandemic is over and are crowding themselves into nightclubs, discarding their masks, etc. As a result the number of new infections per day is rising and recently exceeded the previous record of 50,000 in one 24-hour period; more ominously hospital admissions are also creeping up. We have both had our covid booster (ie, third) jabs (as well as our regular winter flu jabs) but we are in our eighties and belong to the most vulnerable sector of society. Wearily this week we stopped visiting the supermarket and resumed buying groceries online; brought the the rare visits from our nearest daughter to an end and intensified our weekly Skype sessions. I'd like to pretend these decision were taken coolly and that we behaved as adults; neither of these things happened. We have subsequently become fractious and prone to argument.

    Are we being cowardly? Perhaps. But as a living coward I can still tell lies in my blog. As crematorium ashes, blowing in the wind, I wouldn't have that option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drove to the bank to get cash? Are there no ATMs in the USA, outdoor machines which dispense cash?

    My heart bleeds. Does pre-diabetic mean disposed to suffer from diabetes or being in a state which will lead to diabetes?

    Brakes. Assuming the car has disc brakes (rather than antediluvian drum brakes) the flashing light will probably mean the the disc brake pads are worn and should be replaced. It's a natural condition; brake pads may be regarded as consumables (like tyres) which will need renewing. But don't, for goodness sake, leave that light flashing. The remainder of the pad may wear away quite quickly, leaving metal to engage with metal, and then you'll have a fine four-figure bill covering disc replacement.

    I'm trying to remember the last time I flew. The three holidays we spent in New Zealand more or less did for flying as far as flying was concerned. Especially the last one which involved a 14-hour leg from Auckland into snowy Chicago. That was in 2002. Ah yes, about eight years ago we did the German Christmas Market run, which meant taking a plane to Stuttgart. Can't say I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the brake pad info. I made an appointment. Pre-diabetes in my case seems to mean if I don't change my ways I'll likely develop it. It doesn't run in my family, so I'm not genetically predisposed. I need to reduce my sugar and simple carb intake. ATM's have a limit on the amount of cash they dispense.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?