coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, November 27, 2021

A quiet time

Tom and I went away for a week. We rented a beach house on Crescent Beach, which is on Anastasia Island just south of St. Augustine. It was cool, overcast, and quiet. Exactly my cup of tea for a fall vacation. Our daughter and grandson came for an overnight, but most of the time we were alone (as per usual). I love this quiet life in retirement.  


Yes, we took Murray the cat on vacation with us

The place we stayed, a funky little bungalow


the walk way from house to beach





The end of the walkway

Crescent Beach

a natural pattern in the sand








St. Augustine

Christmas decorations at a martini bar

boat

Pirate photo opp in St. Augustine

"Built by the Spanish in St. Augustine to defend Florida 
and the Atlantic trade route, Castillo de San Marcos 
National Monument preserves the oldest masonry 
fortification in the continental United States"














Old Town, St. Augustine









sunrise 

sunrise 


















Crescent Beach






































my footprint

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful getaway! Glad you had good weather to enjoy it! Like the photos over the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly beautiful place to take a vacation. Love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose a great place to stay. The scenes are stunning. As for the natural patterns in the sand I want to reach out and rub them between my fingers just to feel the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds magical. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O my goodness! The ocean. Such a beautiful place. You and Tom certainly know how to enjoy time together. And with that charmer, Murray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual great photos. Looks like a perfect spot for a quiet getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing little bungalow. It's not super duper modern, and could use some paint, but we've rented it at least 6 times over the past 16 years. So it seems familiar.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a slice of heaven. Murray looks like he's good with holiday as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murray seems to enjoy going on vacation, ha!

      Delete
  8. What an ideal place for a quiet week of escape. I like the pirate and fort aspects to the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pirate vibe is strong there. Really fun. They actually have a Pirate Museum and gift store. My grandson loves that place.

      Delete
  9. A martini bar! Just that, no other drinks? Heaven on earth. A reminder of the discovery I made all those years ago at Howard Johnson's (Yeah, I know they're naff, perhaps even no longer in existence. But their martinis were huge and the proportions exact).

    Where I came upon the immutable law. Two left you yearning - just a little - for a third. Three and you knew you were plastered. Could I commission you for a project - to find out whether that law still applies, 55 years later? I'll pay your bar bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be plastered after 2. If I had a third, I would get sick. I think the "law" still applies. This martini bar (The Tini Martini Bar) specializes in martinis, but serves other drinks. Howard Johnson's? Wow, that's a blast from the past. Apparently there are still some hotel and motels around, but only one restaurant remains. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos. Murray is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?