coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Reluctance

This month our grandson N turns 10 years old. I started this blog 10 years ago while I was babysitting for his older sister while their parents were in the hospital attending to his birth.  

His older sister, E, was 8 years old when N was born. She had been the only child for a long time, and did NOT want a sibling. She wasn't interested in babies. The whole pregnancy hoopla annoyed her. When asked to help come up with a name, she offered "Toilet" as a possibility.  

When I got the call that N had been born, I wandered into Eislinn's room to tell her.  She was playing on the floor with her fanciful little characters. I gleefully announced, "N was just born!" She glanced up with a sour look and softly dismissed me with "I'm busy." 

She came around in the fullness of time.  The two of them are quite close despite the 8 years difference in age.  

At first...










And eventually...

19 comments:

  1. AWww! I am so glad she came round. I've heard so many stories of long term sibling dislike (often to the complete confusion and dismay of one of them) and it is really a shame. Thankfully not N and E' story. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could have been bad. We were lucky she came around. It took a few months.

      Delete
  2. I totally think you all missed the boat by not naming N "Toilet." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing true stories of siblings that are close. Thank you for this today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a sweet story. I love that she came around and loved her little brother. But Steve has a good point, "Toilet" is a very interesting name. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This story makes N laugh out loud. He quite likes the name Toilet.

      Delete
  5. That new baby learned more from his sister than from his parents, about how to act and behave. I wonder if she realized that, eventually. In the first year, by the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. I'll have to ask her if she realizes how much he follows her lead.

      Delete
  6. Happy 10 year blog anniversary and Happy birthday to your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do grow up so fast! One of our Granddaughter's is preggy with their 2nd Child, the Oldest is now 3 and she thought Mommy was having a Puppy... she was happy about a Puppy. When they finally convinced her it wasn't going to be a Puppy, but a
    baby Sister, she started calling it 'Broccoli'... why? Because she HATES Broccoli... Laughed my Ass off at that one. Our Granddaughter is the Oldest of 3 Girls and Adores her Sisters, so she's Hopeful that our Gt-Granddaughter will come around and at least like the new Sister when she arrives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broccoli! 3 is supposed to be a good age, developmentally, to bring in a new sibling. I suspect she'll adjust. Babies are SO adorable.

      Delete
  8. Glad to know her initial revulsion to the new arrival wore off and they're now the best of pals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It happens. Professional Bleeder didn't at all approve of the birth of Occasional Speeder, four years later, given we were at the time living in the USA, distant from our wider families, and PB was used to getting all the attention. Later, when they flew back to the UK ahead of us (travelling by the SS France with our car) they finally became united in the face of a relation both disliked. An unexpected silver lining you might say.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?