coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Falling victim to the plague

Well, I got COVID. First our daughter got it, then I did. Then both our husbands fell victim to this plague. My daughter's children didn't get it for some reason. We also passed it on to Tom's daughter R's husband Ch. They were visiting us at the time. But R didn't get it.What a strange virus, picking and choosing victims seemingly at random.  

All of us are vaccinated and boostered and none of us were deathly ill.  For me it seemed like a bad chest cold, although I also experienced chills. I'm not complaining, having chills meant I could snuggle up in bed with both a top sheet and a blanket covering me. I miss being cold on occasion, especially when I'm in bed trying to sleep. There are only a couple weeks each year that this Floridian needs more than just a sheet.  

We were advised to use Mucinex and DayQuil, both of which really helped during the worst of it. All we wanted to do was sleep. Time stood still.  

I lost my sense of smell, which has yet to return. Not surprising since once COVID petered out and I tested negative, the monster left me with a sinus infection.  

20 comments:

  1. Oh Colette, I am so sorry you and your family got COVID. It does seem to be making its way into so many lives lately. My sister and her family have been dealing with it as well. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope that sinus infection clears up. Stay safe there and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never so bad that I was worried. Thankfully.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, succumbing to covid all round! Glad to know none of you were seriously ill. My sense of smell vanished years ago, I hope yours comes back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it was something of an anticlimax, especially when compared to the early days in 2021 when people were dying in swarms with tubes emerging from every available orifice. Now the rented French villa is on - at great expense - I'm hoping none of us get it since that would throw a spanner in the works.

    Are you able to drink booze? Do you want to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't drink alcohol for about a week because I just didn't want to. Didn't really want to eat much either. I sure hope you all get to France for that villa vacation!

      Delete
  4. http://mollybawnchronicles.blogspot.comJune 16, 2022 at 3:26 PM

    Glad to hear it was a mild dose and not too plague-like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each time someone I know gets COVID, I am shocked but it seems to be turning into a rite of passage. The vaccinations and boosters really do make a difference in the degree of illness that COVID causes. And it is odd that some people come down with it and some don't.

    Yesterday I did my first COVID home test after going to a birthday gathering last Friday and finding out on Tuesday that my 80-year-old friend caught COVID from her son who was visiting from out of town for her birthday. I had thought that he looked stressed and tired at the birthday gathering, but it did not occur to me that he might have COVID. Both were vaccinated and fully boostered. So far I am feeling well and have tested negative.

    Hope the sinus infection doesn't last long and that you get your sense of smell back, Colette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the mend with the sinus infection!

      Delete
  6. So sorry you got Covid, Colette! Glad to hear you are recovering and I hope the sinus infection goes away and your sense of smell comes back. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. I hope everything returns to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuk ! Glad to read you have the worst behind you. My daughter waited two weeks for her sense of smell to return, but return it did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you caught Covid, but relieved that you had a mild case. It seems like everyone has either had it or is going to before it's all said and done. Thank goodness for vaccines to lessen the danger. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I'm so thankful for the vaccines.

      Delete
  10. I imagine it will infect all of us eventually but I don't look forward to it. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some people who don't seem to catch it. Hopefully you'll be one of them.

      Delete
  11. Pleased to read you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?