coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive, July 2022

Yesterday, Tom and I went on the Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive, and then on to the city of Mount Dora for Cuban food. It was a much needed distraction from reality. This is some of what we saw along the drive.

A big guy in the water on a hot, humid day








a cute little marsh rabbit, minding his own business


A shot along the canal, such beauty sustains me


Egret, fishing no doubt

a scrappy female grackle




A raccoon, just walking by














a great egret being chased away by a heron










The heron, triumphant

The big payoff, eating picadillo (me) and grouper salteado (Tom) at the Copacobana in Mt. Dora. There are so many interesting things on the menu, but my heart belongs to picaddillo. I can't bring myself to order anything else.













13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful journey you and Tom took. You saw such great wildlife there. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride to the Cuban restaurant, with all the wildlife and natural beauty on the way. I'm particularly fond of that scrappy grackle. We don't have grackles here.

    Can almost taste the Cuban food by looking at your photo! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are wonderful. Good pictures of wildlife are not easy to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heron and the egret--I had no idea herons were territorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a car stopped to the front and side of them. That might have made them skittish.

      Delete
  5. Great photos! I especially love the heron and egret ones - great catches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing wildlife. This is something we only see on tv. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping that the cute little marsh rabbit was no where near the big guy in the water! Looks like a fun trip with so much nature to lift your spirits!
    The food looks delicious! I will have to google to see if I could make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cute little marsh rabbit was no where near the big guy in the water. Here's the recipe I use when I make picadillo at home. https://alwaysreising.blogspot.com/2018/01/piccadillo.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recipe, Colette!

      Delete
  8. The big guy in the water is a bit scary. I would have kept well away from him! Looks like a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Colette, these days distractions such as being outdoors and seeing nature are way more pleasant than many other things. Thanks for sharing your outing that was complete with some great looking food as well.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?