coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Saturday, September 23, 2023

I can't think of a title for this

I've been sick with a sinus infection all week. I called the doctor on Monday, but couldn't get an appointment so they set me up with a nurse practitioner for a video appointment. She said as soon as she got off she'd call in a prescription for me to my local pharmacy. Instead, she called it in to my mail order provider. It's Saturday, and it still hasn't arrived from the mail order place.  

I called on Tuesday to let the nurse practitioner know the pharmacy hadn't received her order. She fessed up to her mistake and said she'd call it in to the local place. Yesterday (Friday), the local pharmacy finally texted me that it was ready. I picked them up. Today the mail order pills will arrive. When it rains it pours.

I'm very low energy and feel like crap. Tomorrow Tom and I fly to Indiana for a family funeral. A really freaking sad one, by the way, for a 32 year old husband and father of 2 young children. He was my niece's husband. It makes my sinuses ache just to think about what's ahead.  

I'll see family members I haven't seen in years over the course of two days. I will run the gamut of emotions.  Actually, it will seem more like running the gauntlet. Families are tough!

There may be a hurricane off the East Coast right now, but there is no wind propelling my sails. I'm just going through the motions for the people I love. For my niece and her little ones. For all the nieces and nephews and in-laws of her generation who are dealing with peer loss for the first time. For my siblings and in-laws who are triggered by the memories of similar losses, and extreme familial love. For the kind of love that wrestles you to the ground. My heart is broken.  


28 comments:

  1. Gone at 32, that's terrible. I hope you can deal okay with all the family members and all the emotions. I guess it'll be a highly emotional occasion. Wishing you a quick recovery from the sinus infection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sinus infection will be gone soon enough now that I have the meds. It's recovering from the tragic funeral that I worry about - but not really for me. For my niece and her children. It's all so very sad. But thank you.

      Delete
  2. What a horrible situation -- being sick AND having to deal with such a sad family situation. I hope those pills work pronto! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be fine. It's my niece and her family that are my biggest concern right now. So terrible for everyone, but especially that sweet little family. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Funerals are tough - you already have been hit with this loss, and then you travel to the epicenter of the sadness. But it's what we do and it needs to be done.
    So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad for you and your family's tragic loss. Such a heartbreak in every way. I hope you start to feel better soon. Please take care there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tragic loss. I'm sorry for your family and especially the wife and children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Especially the wife and children.

      Delete
  6. The enduring heartbroken love in your post in response to this tragic family loss is beyond measure. Take care in the coming days, Colette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, am. And thanking you for seeing that love.

      Delete
  7. Flying while you have a sinus infection will not be fun. It is sad that someone so young has died. My condolences to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad, up to and including you travelling with a sinus infection. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to break in on this personal tragedy but perhaps there's some comfort in this. I didn't know whether you checked back to other blogs to look for re-comments on your comments but you may conceivably take heart from my Tone Deaf response to your latest concerns about my ill-health. I'd say it was somewhat uncharacteristic (on my part) but perhaps leave it a while. It was written before I read this, your latest post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your reply on Tone Deaf before I read this. Indeed, it made me almost happy. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Here's hoping that with the medication you'll at least feel healthier and better able to cope with the stress and emotions ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do what we have to do, don’t we? I am at the age where people are bidding adieu at an alarming rate. Another funeral on Saturday. People live and people die - that’s really all there is to it. Sadly, some die “before their time”, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, so true. These "before their time" losses really lay one low. I'm on the ground.

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry for your niece and her children, Colette. She will be glad you have come to share her grief and support her. Hope the visit with family is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My condolences to you and your family. I hope you're feeling physically better. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?