coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Awash but not completely submerged

I was awash with feelings this past week, having spent a few days with a three people I love very much. They are three people I don't often spend time with. When I say "awash" I mean I was covered in emotional goo. 

My husband and I live a quiet life. Being with more than one person over the course of a few days is kind of overwhelming for me. I find myself practically dissociating at times. When I have used up every ounce of my energy reserves, I need to rest. Fully overwhelmed I might hallucinate, talk in tongues, overeat, and drive badly. Stone sober, I might accidentally drive the wrong way on a one way street.  

That didn't happen this time. Well, okay, I did drive the wrong way down a divided entrance/exit to an apartment complex. But it was dark and I was in unfamiliar territory. It was a short entranceway. That could have happened to anyone.  

After a few days of intense social interactions, I am running on empty. Sometimes rest is not an option and I must keep going. Then I trust that if I just go through the motions, one movement will lead me to another.  It works.  



12 comments:

  1. Yes. It works. That's for sure.

    By the way, I nearly drove down a one-way street recently. Too much going on in my mind and heart. Yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that state of mind. I do dissociate. It's rude. It's my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that you got to visit with people you love. Hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother-in-law used to say that visitors should leave after four days. So when we would visit we left after four days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my friends and family, but am always relieved when either they leave or I do. Is it an introvert thing? Methinks yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma Springfield, above, might like the Swedish expression, 'guests and fish stink after three days'! I hope you are back into a balanced state of mind, Colette and can just reflect happily on the meeting you had with your friends. Now that I'm eighty I've given myself leave to do nothing if that's what I feel I need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an introvert myself, I understand your tendency to get overwhelmed by other people. My brain seizes up and I need a bit of time to myself to come down to earth as it were. I like that Swedish expression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't an introvert until I retired. I used to be able to go go go until I dropped. It might just be aging in my case.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?