coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

I'm trying to get into the right frame of mind for Thanksgiving, you know, the state where I want to clean and cook. It's getting late, so it better happen soon. Thankfully my husband cleans, and he's always game to make the turkey and mashed potatoes. I don't think I have ever made a turkey. I'm spoiled rotten.  

I would like to experiment with wild side dishes, but our daughter and her family have food issues. Our daughter has gluten issues that will make her sick in bed if I use wheat flour. Grandson N has a milk protein allergy and will spend his evening in the bathroom if I'm not careful. He's also extremely picky because so many foods have made him sick in the past. Granddaughter E is the foodie, but even she doesn't like onions. Neither does her father. I want ALL of us to be happy on Thanksgiving. 

I make two stuffings, one gluten free. I sauté onions and celery blended to high heaven with turkey broth before I bake this GF one. The other is made with cornbread and includes apples, pecans, onions, celery and mushrooms. Guess which one I eat? Gravy is made with gluten free flour, and it turns out just fine. I use cold water instead of milk. Tom and I are the only ones who will eat the cranberry sauce or the sweet potatoes. Everyone likes green beans. Butter doesn't have milk protein in it, so there's plenty of butter in or on everything. 

Grandson N will eat chicken nuggets and separately roasted potatoes. Don't judge me, he's my grandson and I'll make him whatever he wants. You be you. I'll be me.

Make me say it: I make fresh green beans for some, green bean casserole (with gluten free cream of mushroom soup and crispy onions) for others.  

Our daughter is in charge of dessert. She's a good baker, and sees it as her lot in life to adapt wheat based recipes to gluten free.Whatever she makes will be super damn yummy. 

In my mind, Thanksgiving is the best meal of the year. For all who celebrate, enjoy!


Last year's meal. Oh gee, I need to run to the store for
red beets, and apples to make applesauce. Aaaack. 
Granddaughter E LOVES red beets.



21 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I must admit I've never understood the fascination with green bean casserole, though. I would much rather have plain ol' green beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful holiday. I'm embarrassed to say, although I love fresh green beans, I am team casserole on Thanksgiving. Enjoy your meal!

      Delete
  2. The best meal of the year is the one with the greatest degree of harmony. Good food can shorten the odds but cannot compensate for, say, depression, bitter argument, an excess of booze. Harmony is enhanced by a willingness to listen but also, paradoxically, the ability of someone to fill in during an unforeseen silence. A mix of opinions can often contribute more than everyone being in agreement; strangely this latter situation may lead to pickiness and - worst of all too much pedanticism.

    One of the best meals I enjoyed was as guest of a wealthy Jewish couple in a swanky Pittsburgh suburb who served lobsters. Despite tickling my palate the guy also wanted to tease me for being English. Made a joke about English incompetence and I topped it. Everybody laughed. He gracefully conceded and everybody laughed, even more heartily. Harmony, you see. I could be there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder what you said to top his joke.

      Delete
    2. The answer to that will cost. But you'll think it money well spent.

      Delete
  3. It sounds to be a super Thanksgiving meal. One that each family member can enjoy. And who cares what you make to accommodate each family member. Thay are yours and you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't judge you at all for accommodating your grandson's palate. I do the same here. I've been a picky eater all my life and it is a source of embarrassment for me, something I don't want him to feel in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That plate is lovely. It's what mine will look like tomorrow. A happy day to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made a gluten-free, dairy-free Thanksgiving for a couple of years now because of my daughter. No one can tell and the rice flour I use makes a smoother gravy so it's all good.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Colette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving! Reading this post reminded me of all the stuff my parents had to do to accommodate my siblings and me. We were such picky eaters. Love and Thanksgiving go together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that I didn't sign my comment. That's NewRobin13 saying Happy Thanksgiving. (NewRobin13)

      Delete
  8. All the best to you and your family on this Thanksgiving Day. I want to eat everything on that plate and then go back for more. Stuffing has always been my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal. Wonderful to imagine getting to eat two different stuffings. (-: (-: (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a good meal. I hope this year's was every bit as good - sounds as if it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We should have a Thanksgiving here in the UK. Naming the things you give thanks for would make a change from all the moaning and carping!

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?