coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Who cares?

It is my husband who usually buys "things" for the house.  Things like new towels, sheets, end tables, patio furniture, and so on.  I have so little interest. Over the years, it he eventually took on those tasks.  Sometimes he consults with me.  Sometimes he does not.  Is it odd that I don't care?

If we buy, say, a new couch for the living room, I am involved because he asks me to be involved.  I do have opinions, and if I must form them about "things" I will do so.  I will override him if I feel I must.  

I do care about colors, and I'm happy to choose the colors of household items and furniture if I know they are going to be replaced.  If something needs a decision about fabric, patterns, designs, I'm all in.  

This morning when I got up I noticed I was alone in the house.  I looked outside and he was on the lanai, putting together a new towel rack.  That was a surprise.  Had he asked me in advance if we needed to replace the old one, I would have said no.  The old one still worked.  

Do we argue about such matters?  No.  I'm happy to be relieved of these tasks, and they seems to bring him joy.  

I feel very differently about garden beds.  



15 comments:

  1. Your interests lie elsewhere. I hate to shop. I have not been inside a store in at least 7 years. I know that as a female I am supposed to enjoy nothing more than a good sale on shoes. I really hate shoes. Give me a good ballgame or Dancing With The Stars or Whose Line Is It Anyway on TV. I'll read a good book or write a blog of family stories for my children and grandchildren. You are perfectly normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you think I'm normal!!! I like shoes as objets d'art, but I only buy if I must and then I only buy practical shoes. But I like the way they look. Most of the time I wear flip flops.

      Delete
  2. In my household, I get the outdoors, she gets the indoors - except for a small area I get to call mine, free from all her clutter. It generally works for us.

    That is a stunning plant!!! What is it? We will never be able to match nature's ability to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a type of bromeliad. It rarely blooms, so when it does, I'm happy. You lucked out getting the outdoors instead of the indoors!

      Delete
  3. We would never have a new towel, or a clean towel, if it was left to my husband:) It's nice that he does this for the both of you. One less thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes things take on a life of themselves before we notice it and we ask ourselves, since when do you decide where to get bread, how to stack the dishwasher, when to empty the compost bin? Depending on the mood of the day, this could be a don't care episode or an explosion.
    But garden, heavens beware If I get involved. I truly understand your standpoint from the other side of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't care or explosion. I guess over time couples decide which battles should be fought. As for gardens, we have always each had our own, ha. Sharing one never worked.

      Delete
  5. Jenny tends to take on domestic tasks like replacing towels and dishcloths, buying curtains, and buying bed linen, though we do make joint decisions about colours, fabrics etc. I do all the garden tasks which balances out her domestic jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when all these tasks fall into place.

      Delete
  6. It's better than both of you feeling heavily invested and then disagreeing, right? In our household I tend to take the lead on such decisions but then I consult with Dave before the final purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is anything major, he consults me first. But for smaller things, he's gotten in the habit of just doing it himself. Maybe I have said "I don't care" too many times?

      Delete
  7. I notice this about my spouse too, what I mean is we have different priorities (not sure if this is the correct word) regarding household aspects. I notice and take care of all the house maintenance but she lights the boiler when it (rarely) goes out because I'm scared of it, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gee, she's my hero. I don't think I'd light the boiler.

      Delete
  8. Love the plant. Seems a companionable balance as been met.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?