coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Cooking while rattled

Having visitors has been a bit jarring for me.  The past few years have been spent quietly, with people we know.  People who are predictable, and comforting in their familiarity.  I had forgotten how it feels to be around people who are less predictable.  It takes a lot of emotional and physical energy.  And lots and lots of talking.  I can talk that talk.  I can talk until the cows come home, and enjoy every minute of it.  But at a price.  I was in bed about 9 pm last night.  I may have to take a nap this afternoon.  I almost never nap.  

I tend to get rattled when socially challenged.  I say this as I just realized I accidentally turned off the stove half way in to baking a frittata.  Unbeknownst to me it then sat in a warm oven for 20 minutes.  I turned the oven back on, but I know that is a futile effort.  When our guest wakes up I will try to interest her in peanut butter on toast, or steamed oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts.  

Sheesh.  I was really counting on that frittata to start the day off right. 

9 comments:

  1. I enjoy having good friends for company, especially since it isn't often, but I do find myself stressed by it, especially by figuring out what to cook, and relieved when they leave. And I can't cook and visit others in the room at the same time, or I'll put milk in the cupboard and too much liquid in whatever I'm creating; apparently I'm no multitasker. And when the grandchildren come ... the noise! the commotion! talk about rattled! It makes me feel a bit better to hear others have similar challenges with company -- even welcome company. I've always thought of myself as open-hearted and outgoing, but when the expectation of company for a few days makes me tense, I begin to question that assessment. Now I think it might be perfectly normal for all of us to feel that way, simply because of the added pressure of hosting -- the extra mouths to feed, the extra cleaning, the extra activity, the extra requirements and expectations we have of ourselves ... do the men of a household also experience this? -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be exhausting to have different bodies in the house. My mother-in-law used to say that fish and visitors start to stink after 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you're houseguest will be satisfied with whatever you have to offer her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be a bit jarring to have guests in the house....all that talk and socializing and eating. We've gotten very used to just being the two of us here. When we do have house guests, we manage, but wow we are really exhausted afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your guest will eat whatever is on the plate you put in front of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, talking to people you don't know all that well can be very tiring. But hopefully they're also good company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get that. While I do enjoy these occasions, I am floored afterwards. And with much nostalgia, I remember the long ago days when people would come and hang around with drinks and talk while we someone cooked and it was always great food and company. Always, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a confusing feeling - I can moan about being lonely and missing visitors but then when I do have visitors, I am celebrating the peace and quiet when they leave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a hunch; maybe it's foolish, maybe not. For one thing your style of writing has changed, but in a way only I would recognise (since I used to get paid for this sort of detective work). It's slightly tighter, slightly more laconic, best of all - fewer adjectives. Since I've noticed that you don't waste words there must be a reason. A change in your sociological persona perhaps.

    But to what end? Perhaps you've decided to enter Floridian politics, as a way of kicking the Satan out of the present front-runner. I'd vote for you; I sort of qualify, too, given I'm in receipt of a US pension. But nah, that would only be a part-time job.

    More likely, to become a stand-up for grown-ups. A comedian using intellectual material rather that prat-falls. I'd pay to see that, but further back than the first five rows. I reckon there'd be water-throwing to keep viewing intellectuals alert. Good plot.

    Jeez, I'd make a great straight man, So come on, give us a hint.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?