coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Spring is coming, maybe it's even here

We rode our bikes to a park on Lake Apopka the other day. It was a beautiful day, sunny, light wind, low humidity and only in the low 70s.  The azaleas have been blooming for a while.  I noticed on our ride that the tabebuia trees are packed with yellow blossoms. Spring has come to central Florida, and I hadn't noticed until today.  What's been wrong with me?  

Our few deciduous trees (we have a sycamore and crape myrtle, but there are others out and about) have not returned to life, but will soon.  Of course the palms trees, live oaks, and scrub pines remain green all year round.  Now when I see pictures from up north with snow cover and the overwhelming starkness of tree branches, I am in awe.  The weather is like that for so long in New York State.  It's little wonder that so many become avid amateur gardeners during their astoundingly short growing season.  I salute them.

Here are some pictures from this month in Central Florida.

A bloom on the white bird of paradise

palm tree with spanish moss, Lake Apopka in background

Red Maple seedlings? 

An alligator

leaves and Spanish moss


21 comments:

  1. So many different versions of spring. I love seeing what you saw today on your bike ride together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all these views of early spring there. It was 26 degrees here this morning. Brrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so happy with a 26 degree morning.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you mean Los Angeles or Louisiana, but I've never been either place.

      Delete
  4. I always associate Lake Apopka with gators. I love tabebuia trees -- also red kapoks (Bombax), if you have those in your area. It may get too cold for them in Orlando, but they're beautiful at this time of year in Sarasota and southward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red kapoks are a South Florida phenomena. I've never seen one in bloom. Intriguing.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know you could bike ride so near the alligator and not be in danger! Yikes! We had snow yesterday so it was enjoyable to see all of your blooms, Colette! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, isn't it great when there are signs of spring, and plants and trees starting to come to life again. I look forward to the first bees and butterflies, and even the odd squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, the first signs of spring are the best time of the year.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful! I cycled through early spring today too, alas no alligator, just a fierce but thankfully mild wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those fierce but thankfully mild winds!

      Delete
  8. I hope to see signs of spring soon. With age I have begun to appreciate warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having such a long winter in upstate NY really amps up the anticipation for Spring, especially since nothing is green until then. On the other hand, I don't think I would like more than 4 months of weeding which is our entire garden season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is true (weeding).

      Delete
    2. Our Finger Lakes gardens were incredible. I think you are right, in that the short season gave us the energy to work really hard on it. Around August I no longer cared how it looked.

      Delete
  10. Oh, you shoulda seen me. The weather just about warm enough. An old stumblebum, shuffling out to the front garden (actually a bricked-in area with large terracotta pots), carrying a stool because bending kills me, plucking out the dead stuff and the weeds, cursing continuously yet quietly since dog-walkers go past and must needs greet me. Then having to go back to the shed for a broom since my clumsy arthritic hands have spilt earth on the bricks. Thinking of my dream garden - once devised, never again visited - where only silk flahs grow. The lowest of low maintenance. I could be spinning impeccable sentences with irreproachable syntax; instead I'm here like a peasant in the Middle Ages, doing manual work that will shorten my life. Can't expect much more at 87. Dull, dull unrewarding labour that deadens the spirit only... Hey! I can get my revenge via the composition of a miseryguts comment for someone else's blog. Quod erat demonstrandum

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?