coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Monday, February 20, 2023

Visitors Feb 2023

 The COVID years kept visitors away.  Now they are back.  We will have three separate visitors this week.  

Yesterday (Sunday) we met an old friend of mine for lunch.  She and her boyfriend are staying at a DisneyWorld time share she's had for many years.  I have known her, through thick and thin, since we were both young working women. We were even union activists together in those heady days.  We worked in many of the same departments at the University, although not always at the same time.  We share history and love, although we don't always agree on politics.  Politics were avoided at all costs.

The second visitor arrives today (Monday), and will stay with us through Thursday morning.  She is a friend from my husband's commune days in the late 1960s.  We last saw her in 1975.  She is very free spirited, bolstered by a San Francisco lifestyle.  She is also a vegetarian who avoids dairy.  I am none of those things.  I am looking forward to getting to know her better, and excited to eat more plant based meals while she's here.  I have to remember to give her and Tom some space so they can talk about old times, without me.  There will be plenty of politics, as she is in Florida to attend a New College reunion in Sarasota.  If you have any awareness of Florida politics, you will know that DeSatan DeSantis is trying  to destroy New College because it is extremely progressive.  

Last, on Saturday night another of Tom's friends arrives.  He is also named Tom, so we'll call him Tom2.  Tom2 is a lovely man, a musician.  I imagine he and my Tom will play music and go look for alligators while he's here.  He'll be here for 2 nights, and he eats meat.  I've already made some bread, and a red sauce with Italian sausage for pasta.  Both are in the freezer.  Will there be politics?  I don't know.  

This is going to be fun, but I'm already tired.  

14 comments:

  1. Feast or famine, we say - either no one visits or too many are coming at once!?! I am sure it will be great fun and that you will enjoy the peace and quiet when the week is done.
    One of our easy vegetarian recipes is for HATS (hummus, avocado, tomato sandwich on toasted bread)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it will be a busy week, filled with friends and love.

    I wonder what DeSantis is so afraid of that he wants to destroy education. Minds that think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he doesn't really care, or even believe he won't win the inevitable lawsuits. He's expected to run for president in 2024 and is delighting all the right wing with his outrageous attacks on gays, education, and black history. He's that craven.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lovely week of gatherings ahead. It does feel good to feel safe enough to start gathering with friends again. I hope you all have a grand time together.
    I'd love to hear more about Tom's commune days. I spent some time on communes back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing SO much about it right now. Too much, really. Ha.

      Delete
  4. You are wise to stay away from political topics with someone who has extremely different views. It is fun to have good political discussions though. Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old friends are treasures. Now that I am 73, I only have a few left. Definitely fun to spend time with old friends, even with the tiredness factor (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! Catching up after nearly 50 years is quite remarkable.

      Delete
  6. I think it will be a wonderful time. Tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sort of like planning for D-day. It happened during WW2 by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Robbie, it's exhausting. So glad I don't have to kill anyone.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?