coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Reflecting on Florida and Disney World

I like my Florida retiree life, but I realize Florida is creepy. Republicans have dominated the state senate, house, and governorship for about 30 years. Wacky retro laws are being passed daily, and the educational system is headed for disaster. Hate and intolerance are the rage. Women, children, gay people, and people of color are under attack as the white GOP machine struggles to turn back the clock and put everyone back "in their place."

I also know Disney represents all that is wrong about capitalism, but holy smokes folks! They stand up to DeSatan DeSantis and the repressive Florida GOP.  Currently they are in an epic battle with Desantis because of his stupid Don't Say Gay bill. Disney is big enough, and arrogant enough to fight back on behalf of their LGBTQIA+ employees and guests. The other day at Epcot I saw an entire section of PRIDE merch in the main store. It made me smile. Our granddaughter Melanie, who died in a car accident last summer, was gay. She loved Disney. I wish she could have seen that display, it would have made her smile as well. What I wouldn't give to see her smile!

Sometimes you have to choose a side even though there are no perfect choices. It's all very confusing. When I was a New York liberal, everything seemed so simple and clear.  Down here in Florida, not so much.  Life is really much more complicated than I thought.



https://www.shopdisney.com/collections/the-disney-pride-collection/




12 comments:

  1. DeSantis and the republicans in Florida are scary and seem to hate a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feeling is that no one is going to force you to be gay if you are not, no one will force you to get an abortion if you don't want one, and no one will force you to read a book that offends you. It is called freedom. I thought that these freedoms are what the Founding Fathers intended when they wrote and accepted the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That most certainly is what they intended!

      Delete
  3. Like many Floridians I have mixed feelings about Disney, but there's no arguing with their economic power. They pretty much singlehandedly enable the state to avoid imposing an income tax on its residents, for example. I am happy to see Disney fighting DeSantis and I hope he suffers for it politically (as he will if Disney keeps pulling the plug on its growth plans in Florida). In this case, Disney is on the right side of history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DeSantis sounds like a nasty piece of work. Good for Disney, standing up to him and stocking Pride products. I'm pro-gay all the way but I part company with the trans activists who try to shut down any difference of opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grateful for Disney taking on DeSantis. He is such a dangerous politician. I really wish thing would calm down for a little while everyone. It's all so cranked up into utter madness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DeSantis has his sights on the universities and all the higher education as well as K through 12. He needs shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Robin and hope DeSantis fizzles out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family and I love the Mouse but have mixed feelings about the corporation. But I am grateful to your governor because his hateful and homophobic policies got my daughter to move back to the northeast. There was no way she would send her children to schools that only preach white nationalism.

    I do hope that DeSantis fails in all his political endeavors and that Florida returns to the family friendly place it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we have lost the meaning of life
    good evening from Greece

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?