coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Repair Estimate Limbo

Aaack!  I'm a bit traumatized by taking my car in for a look see. They ran a diagnostic and came up with 12 things they wanted to do for a total of $2,928.96.  

The interaction with service people is automated. I received a boiler plate text from"Service Advisor" Blaine, telling me to click on a link to get the estimate. I did. Holy cow! As my eyes were rolling towards the back of my head, I was supposed to click on what I wanted done. 

My husband said to check the two cheapest things, replacing a couple of filters, because If I paid more that $89 for repairs they wouldn't charged me the $89 for the diagnostic. Fast thinking, Tom! We could then get a second opinion on the rest.  

Still, I wanted to talk to Blaine to determine how critical he thought the expensive things were. I immediately called and had to leave a message for him to return my call. He never did. The next day I sent him 2 texts and tried to call but no one answered. The third day I sent an email, and then tried calling again. Another service person answered and said "Blaine" was busy with a customer. I urged him to get Blaine anyway, as I wanted my car back. The service person returned and told me Blaine said I could come and get the car.

When we went there, I was finally able to speak to Blaine. He was super nice, smarmy almost, and obviously feeling guilty. He admitted nothing on that list was critical. What the heck?  

We are taking the car in elsewhere (with no advance information about the first estimate) on Friday. Stay tuned.


18 comments:

  1. What a scam! Stuff like this makes me so mad! I wouldn't use Blaine again and I'd make sure he (and his superiors) knew exactly why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My car is old and has been rattling but I dread taking it in. Don't know if it is worth putting money into it or if I should look for a new-to-me vehicle. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment has disappeared. I said that I assumed a stuck door could be fixed very simply and couldn't possibly cost thousands of dollars. Seems I was right. Good luck with fixing your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get your earlier comment on the sliding glass door. It appears on that post. Thanks for the good luck!

      Delete
  4. Blaine is being paid a commission for the work he does and the parts he sells. Always let them know you will be getting a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lord. Good job asking questions and seeking a second opinion. I am so glad I no longer have a car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a crazy experience. I had no idea that car repair shops jacked up their estimates like this and added work that really didn't need to be done. Yikes! I hope the next estimate experience goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of automated car service. This certainly makes me really appreciate my mechanic who fixes the necessary and gives me ample warning to save for the things that will be needed in the future. He also gave my daughter a "new baby" discount on work she just had done. I guess that kind of service is going to be a thing of the past. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I had to deal with the automated service. It's not a good thing. Remember I live in Florida, the land of the scam.

      Delete
  8. I'm always suspicious of recommended repairs since a local car dealer suggested over £1000 worth of repairs for the MOT test (government test of roadworthiness). I agreed to two items costing about £50 and surprise surprise, the car passed the MOT test with no issues. Good luck with the second opinion on your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I'm happy to hear things worked out for you.

      Delete
  9. How old's the car? Mileage? Any recent problems? If no recent problems. why did you ask for an inspection? Why did you use Blaine's company? Was it the original dealer? One also assumes there were no previous scam attempts.

    Suggestion: Check ads of used cars with same mileage (The pandemic can make this tricky; many cars didn't do anything like the previous years' mileages. Mine, for instance. The insurance company even offered me a small discount on the premium). Consider the estimated repair cost as a percentage of the car's resale value; anything more than 20% is probably a no-no. One reason: your next car may well be battery powered (much more expensive) though this may be less likely in the US than here in Europe. Consider writing to the manufacturer (however old the car) about what you feel might be sharp practices. Consider buying a newer used car. Remind yourself of the dreaded depreciation factor; one make of car sold in the UK automatically loses 15 - 20% of its original value the first time the new owner turns the ignition key.

    You know, I really should get out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should. But I appreciate the advice. Car is a 2015 Subaru. We rarely drive anywhere, so the mileage is low. It was just driving a little rough so we took it in. Yes, to the original dealer - not a good idea.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?