coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, December 22, 2023

Eating our way towards tolerance.

I'm baking, but not cookies. Nope, NOT making cookies. I made a couple loaves of braided cheese and onion bread, and I just finished rolling up some Hungarian kolache. I am waiting for it to proof. 

Kolache shouldn't be confused with Polish kolacky, those are cookies. A kolache is a sweet bread filled with sweetened ground walnuts (or poppyseeds). It is rolled like a Swiss roll, but a Swiss roll is made out of sponge cake. Kolache has an odd yeasted dough almost like an enriched pie crust with milk, sugar and egg yolks added. A number of Eastern European countries seem to have a version of it with a different name.  

I am also marinading beef for Sauerbraten, which Tom and I will eat Christmas evening with spaetzle and red cabbage on the side. Our dinner is long after our daughter's family goes home on Christmas day. They come at noon for a good old Southern brunch with eggs, bacon, biscuits and sausage gravy.  

Last night we ate at our favorite Mexican restaurant. 

This is America. The great melting pot starts in the kitchen.



24 comments:

  1. All the food you've mentioned here sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very German Sunday dinner food. That kolache has a Bavarian/Austrian cousin we call Nussstrudel - yes three s!
    We are having goose with Spätzle and Rotkohl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to know about Nussstrudel, it really is a cousin of Kolache, and from now on I must refer to red cabbage as Rotkohl! I have never eaten goose.

      Delete
  3. Yummmm! A world of good food! The joy of food!

    Frequently, I ask cashiers of all ages in grocery stores what their favorite food is. Without exception, they smile, their eyes light up as they start thinking about food, and soon they are able to think of a food that stands out for them. Many have said "pizza" or "Mexican food." The most unusual response was "radishes," from a woman in her early 20s. My current favorite food is steamed red potatoes, with olive oil and salt added after steaming. I'm fond of those purple Japanese sweet potatoes blended into a smoothie. And l do love peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love red potatoes, cooked any which way. Peanut butter, of course, is a staple.

      Delete
  4. Kolache sounds delicious. We have lots of great German-Russian recipes from my ancestors who came from the Ukraine area but I haven't run across anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Sabine mentions above, there is a German counterpart called Nussstrudel.

      Delete
  5. That loaf of kolache is beautiful, but not too lovely to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Kolache looks yummy, never had it, sounds tasty. The great melting pot indeed starts in Kitchens and in the breaking of Bread together, no better way to connect with other Human Beings than to share a good Meal. Merry Christmas, may 2024 be all you Hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that looks yummy! I don't think I've ever had kolache.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread looks wonderful, Colette!
    I'm always amazed at the variety of foods I eat now as I was much more picky as a kid! Everything you have mentioned sounds delicious!
    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! Funny how so many traditions center around food. We will be having lots of Swedish cookies and pastries, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for dinner, and to a friend's house for pierogis. A delayed xmas dinner in Boston will be lobster rolls and raising a glass to the "great melting pot".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you really ARE going to have a lovely holiday. Would love to know more about those Swedish cookies and pastries.

      Delete
  10. You are quite the baker, Colette! That bread looks so yummy. Merry Christmas! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin. Here's wishing you good cheer!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness. You are naming a bunch of foods I grew up eating. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had kolache. It looks rather tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This roll looks fabulous. My mom made something similiar but not called Kolache. It was a yeast dough with a sweet crushed walnut filling. She just called it a nut roll. But it looked just like this and brought back such memories. (and she was from Italy) Thank you for that!!

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?