coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Weddings change over time

My maternal grandparents must have had a wedding in 1910, because there is a formal portrait, Grandma in wedding dress and Grandpa in a suit. They married in South Chicago. I wish I knew how they celebrated.

My paternal grandparents eloped on horseback in 1923, married by a preacher by the side of a road in Southeastern Kentucky. Certainly not the norm for that time and place. Her mother was angry! 

When my aunts and uncles married in Northern Indiana in the 1940's. WWII was raging. A marriage took place while service men were on leave. The ceremony might be conducted in the front room of a parent's house in the morning, with a wedding breakfast afterwards. 

When my hippie generation came along in the late 1960's/early 1970's, marriage wasn't cool, at least in our crowd. Tom and I went to a justice of the peace with two witnesses. If friends had a wedding, the afternoon reception was cake-related, like a formal tea. In those days before birth control pills or abortion, the bride was usually between 17 and 21, and maybe a little pregnant.  

Weddings for my younger siblings, non-hippie cousins, and eventually our daughter were bigger. These felt like family reunions. Brides were in their middle 20's. Old folks and babies left soon after the wedding dinner. Young children flailed about on the dance floor with cousins for an hour or two, while parents, aunts and uncles tried desperately to stay awake. Alcohol was served. The younger folks carried on, celebrating with abandon until the music ended and the staff started clearing tables.  

Now, weddings have changed again. In recent years, most weddings we're invited to have been adult-only events. The bride and groom are often in their late 20's (or early 30's). Consequently, they have discretionary income and a huge network of friends. The wedding industry has seriously upped the cost (and instances) of all related expenses, so I imagine that plays a role in limiting participants to adults. Their carefully planned weddings are amazing.

Times change, and weddings follow suit. I get it, and I find the evolution interesting. Still, I miss seeing children on the dance floor.  Maybe I'll start planning a family reunion? 

My maternal grandparents in 1910






13 comments:

  1. Your grandparents look stunning!

    Ours was a bit like yours, five people, a walk in the park, the bride a little bit (4 months) pregnant, no family.
    One niece is getting married on Bali this summer and guests have to make and pay for their own arrangements. Another niece is getting married later this year in a castle in Ireland, no children and a strict dress code (red).
    We politely declined both invites, one for the obvious financial reasons and as for the other, offered to organise a party for the kids instead.
    I know I have no reason to complain, mine wasn't a family affair either. We never told anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing all these wedding stories, beginning with your maternal grandparents in 1910. I see the love in their faces in that treasure of a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old photo; the pomp and pageantry of formal weddings is so alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo of your grandparents! A treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had a variety of weddings in my family so I don't think there is a "norm" for weddings. My own wedding was small as my groom's friends were a wild bunch that we didn't want to invite to my small town. (He's my ex now!) I had a son get married on a golf course and a daughter get married in a living room by her future mother-in-law (neither of those marriages have lasted either). One of my sons got married in China and another got married in Rwanda so I have seen all day weddings with traditional ceremonies and much celebrating. I like your photo of your grandparents and enjoyed this post, Colette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great portrait of your grandparents. I have a picture of my great-grandfather in a similar oversized jacket. They must have been the style back then.

    Dave and I had a very minimalist wedding. Well, a couple of them, actually, because the laws kept changing -- a civil union in a mayor's office in 2010, and then a wedding at the city courthouse in 2015 (and a party afterwards)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My maternal grandparent's wedding picture is almost scary. No smiles just stern looks. They were actually warm loving grandparents. The way they took pictures then was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you say, weddings have changed over time. Many people are not marrying at all but cohabiting or preferring to be single. I'm always flabbergasted by those couples who have incredibly elaborate weddings - often in some exotic venue half way across the world - and rack up astronomical bills. Jenny and I had a simple registry office wedding with two witnesses, and then took them out for a meal at our favourite local restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful family photo to have. The bride 's outfit is rather fine with it's deep pleated skirt but her new husband looks not quite so together. The large jacket makes him look like a teenager. Perhaps he was!
    The cost of a wedding is ridiculous these days. Happily neither of our daughters have ever wanted to marry and they live with their long-term partners without all the brewhaha and expense of an official ceremony.
    I find the 'little bit pregnant' very funny. Surely you are or you aren't?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bit means you don't show, ha!

      Delete
  10. When I was growing up it seemed like we were going to a wedding every other weekend. I don't even remember the last time I went to a wedding. I don't think I would be able to stay up that late now! I LOVE the look on your great grandfathers face. He looks exceedingly proud. How sweet is that?

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?