coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, September 11, 2026

Cold pizza

Well maybe that was long enough, my break from blogging.  If not, we'll see.

It's 9/11 and I'm remembering what I was doing that day.  I was working in the Mathematics Department at Cornell University, where I was the administrative manager.  One of the staff came into my office to tell me what was happening.  I got up and went into the main office space where a radio was on. We were all listening with wide eyes, wondering if this was the end of the world.  We were a lovely team of co-workers.  I'm glad I experienced that historic event with those particular women.  

Today I woke up wishing I had some cold, leftover pizza for breakfast.  

Last night I had an epic dream, long and involved.  I experienced many people from my past, both friends and enemies.  I made up with one enemy after I bashed her in the shoulder with a table fan.  It was an accident, I'm almost sure of it.  We became friends while we waited for the ambulance.  She apologized for tormenting me, and I apologized for hating her.  Now that I'm awake, I wonder what that was all about?



11 comments:

  1. So glad to see you blogging again!

    I remember my co-workers all coming and hugging me and holding my hand as we watched the 9/11 events, knowing that I had family there. As tragic as it was, it's the last time I remember this country coming together - as individuals in the workplace and in the country as a whole, we cared about each other. I do miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for sharing your memory of 9/11.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!
    We, my husband and our teenage daughter, were at home, the TV on, watching in disbelief, I was ironing and my daughter screamed when the first tower collapsed live on the screen. The next morning at work, the entire faculty - like most places - observed a minute's silence in the courtyard and when we walked back to our building a young scientist who had just returned from a year at Johns Hopkins University said, now they have to retaliate, get serious, bomb the shit out of them. He just could not stop, got more and more enraged and I didn't know what to reply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how horrified I was seeing the planes hit the twin towers. The first responders did a fantastic job, but unfortunately a lot of them developed serious illnesses from all the toxic materials they had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they are still developing illnesses all these years later!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting dream. Sounds like you wish you could communicate or make amends with foes from your past. I suppose the anniversary of 9/11 makes us all remember that horrible day, for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that's an interesting take on the dream. Maybe? I was certainly happy in the dream, making up with her.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. I remember that feeling that the world was ending...that morning in Canada I watched the planes on the news (different time zone), then shaken we took our kids to school and I went to work teaching grade 9. Our school was being renovated at the time and all our windows had been boarded up with plywood before the new ones were to be installed over the weekend. Our serious unease was compounded by our inability to see the sky. Later that week we wrote letters for students in New York and other places in the US.
    Dreams are tricky, aren't they? All I know is that our minds are low-key working to protect us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: Dreams, yes they are. Thanks for sharing your 9/11 experience.

      Delete

So, whadayathink?