coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Friday, September 3, 2021

Just sayin'

In 1968, one of my teenage friends had an abortion with a back alley abortionist. It was on the hush hush, as these things were done back then. My friend went to the non-medical abortion provider's house after dark, had a procedure, and was given a special tea to drink until the fetus passed. The passing actually happened the next day in our high school's girl's bathroom.

The woman who conducted the abortion was not a doctor, nor was she educated or a woman of means. However, in those mean, dark days this is how she made her living. My friend was lucky, the abortion provider actually did a good job.

Mark my words: We’ll see more non-medical women providing this service for other women as legal abortions are harder to find. This is the reality of overturning Roe vs Wade. Women won't stop having abortions, they will simply stop going to doctors for them.



16 comments:

  1. Women will always need abortion for one reason or another. It's not up to us to decide what is necessary for another human, just to support them and their decision. Texas politicians make me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two friends from high school had similar experiences. One of them actually had to wear eye covering so she could not see where she was being taken for the abortion. One had to leave the country, but it was so long ago I can't remember where she went. Yes, this is where we are headed. It is a heartbreak in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Women won't stop having abortions, they will simply stop going to doctors for them."

    You've reminded me that in 1968, our freshman year in college at UC Irvine, one of my college friends went to Mexico for an abortion, having gotten pregnant the first time she had sex. In those days, I was able to get birth control pills only by telling a doctor that I was engaged to be married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is cruelty to women so easy for other women and men?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a deep seated distrust of strong, independent women in our society. I don't know why. But I have some ideas.

      Delete
  5. Unless they are wealthy enough to either have a doctor who can hush it up or they can go somewhere that abortion is legal. I have known several people who had abortions. Most were a necessity. When will legislators look at facts instead of their feelings of superior morality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there are more progressive women elected to positions of power?

      Delete
  6. Absolutely true. This just drives abortion back into the shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would have thought that after the 60's and 70's and 80's we would not only be moving backwards but moving there in a deceptive and devious way. We got complacent. It'll be up to the next generation of ladies to take up the mantle. We will support and vote but they will need to go get their hands dirty AGAIN. RBG must be heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a chilling post, Colette, I'm glad that your school friend survived the ordeal without harm. I have known sad stories, women who have had abortions and then been unable to conceive at a later stage. It is a sorry state of affairs, attitudes from the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think young women really grasp how terrifying this loss of the right to govern their bodies actually is.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?