coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Monday, June 26, 2023

Edgy

The rainy season is here. It's hot, humid, and wet in Central Florida. It's been raining the past couple of weeks, so the ground is mushy. Up north we would not have mowed our lawn in such a state, but down here we must.  

The sun came out the other day, and although the forecast projected about a 40 - 50% chance of rain for the rest of the day, we went out early to mow. The grass and weeds were SO high. Tom mows and I edge. I use a Black and Decker string trimmer that runs on a rechargeable battery. It's not the best, but it's good enough for me. I wish I had a gas-driven metal blade trimmer because they are so cool; however, they are worse for the environment. Plus, they are lethal and I don't want to cut my toes off.  

When it is wet and mushy, the string kicks up mud as I slice and dice our wayward grass. I am often splattered with mud at the end, all the way up to my sunglasses. It's kind of thrilling.  

We already need to mow again


8 comments:

  1. Being a recovery perfectionist, I love the exactness of the traditional edger but they do make me nervous. I do the mowing, he does the edging (with the trimmer) and we get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that Florida had a rainy season. Now I'm wondering if that's why there's a hurricane season. Mmm. I think the edging looks fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.weather.gov/tbw/RainySeason#:~:text=The%20rainy%20season%20runs%20from,and%20continues%20into%20early%20October.

      Delete
  3. Florida grass is so thick and dense, it takes heavy-duty lawn equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you need some plastic chaps or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have several small lawns which are easy enough to mow. And soon or later there's a spell of dry weather convenient for mowing. If only someone would develop a type of grass that never grows more than an inch or so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been so dry here in Illinois that we have not had to mow since our grass has gone dormant.

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?