coming out of my shell

coming out of my shell

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Should I admit this?

I have to pick my grandson up from school today.  He's staying an hour later for an extracurricular club, so the car line won't be super crowded.  Still, I'll go a little early and sit there reading a book for the fun of it.  

What am I reading?  Well, dontcha know I advance-ordered Swan Song by Charles Spencer.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  I probably shouldn't admit this personal flaw - in reality, all this "royal" feuding is quite sad.  We really shouldn't take pleasure in reading about it.  Right? But I will. Sorry, not sorry. We all have our secret pleasures, and reading about virtually all royal families is one of mine. 

In this, I'm Team Harry, Diana, and now Charles Spencer.  I like William, and I'm sorry he can't find it in his heart to forgive his brother.  I think he and Harry are both deeply damaged from their upbringing and the loss of their mother.  I dislike King Charles for the way he treated Diana.  I think it's about time Charles Spencer wrote this book.  Just like no one should be above the law, no one should escape the truth.

It's fascinating to see all this personal stuff coming out of a stuffy family.  Truthfully, it makes me like them all the more knowing they are human and complicated and messy. It is like reading a book.  Exactly.  

17 comments:

  1. oooh...please let us know what you think of the book. That family seem to be a royal train wreck. Imagine, having the world at your beck and call and not being able to hold it together. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not done yet, but so far it's quite readable and enjoyable. No hysterics.

      Delete
  2. You're reading, that's all that matters. I can't imagine having to live in the spotlight like that. I would find it horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been contemplating reading this book. I would be interested to know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am with you. I would read it too but it looks like it's going to be pulped here for legal reasons.
    When our daughter was 12 or 13, she figured out that Prince William was just a teeny bit older and since he did look rather dashing as a teenager, she decided to find a way to meet him and ultimately have him fall in love with her. Never mind that her Irish father and his family are less than keen on British royalty - for reasons. Thankfully, this crush faded once the Hanson brothers started a band that appeared on her horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet story of your daughter. Prince William really was a beautiful young man.

      Delete
  5. Imagine being "royal." As a thought experiment, it's appalling (and fascinating). Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been called a "royal pain" before. Does that count?

      Delete
  6. It must be hell having to share all your personal differences and feuds with the whole world. I'm on team Diana. From what I gather Charles treated her horribly and the whole Royal Family resented her being so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see you posting again, Colette!
    I wouldn't want to live like a royal, with all that public attention and responsibilities, but I like Prince Harry (more after reading his memoir), and have decided, because of his appearance, that he and Henry VIII most certainly have a common ancestor.
    The racism with which his wife has met since they became an item is appalling.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to AI: Harry is a distant relative of King Henry VIII through Henry's older sister, Margaret Tudor, making Henry VIII his 14th great-granduncle (or uncle many times over).

      Delete
  8. The first common (to them both) ancestors are Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, the parents of Mary Tudor and Henry VIII. I don't know if Harry looks like either of them, but to me there is a resemblance to the young Henry VIII, even if it's only the red hair. -Kate

    ReplyDelete

So, whadayathink?